Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I know we have cat lovers

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Love that story.
  • Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    What a sweet story.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Yep, cat lover with four furries. Thanks for sharing that amazing story Ed!
  • Daughter of a Marine
    Daughter of a Marine Member Posts: 55
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Not sure how, but i somehow missed the story -I love and miss my kitty and would love to hear your story, Ed - how did i miss it??
  • Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 189
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes
    Another cat lover here!  What a sweet story.  It made my day.  Thanks, Ed!
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    That's almost unbelievable such a fairy tale ending.
    We have had so many over the years and dw is still asking if I am feeding the cats. Yep spent 42$ yesterday. And I got her a joy for all cat, I haven't given it to her, I want to save it for placement.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Daughter of a Marine wrote:
    Not sure how, but i somehow missed the story -I love and miss my kitty and would love to hear your story, Ed - how did i miss it??

Click on the link.

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Thanks Ed!  What an amazing story.  I have 2 cats at the present and 3 feral cats outside that I feed.
  • Rjheld
    Rjheld Member Posts: 15
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

OMG, I have tears.  I have had cats lost before and it is heartbreaking.  I do not have any right now, my last cat was over a 1 1/2 years ago.  She was what got me through the worst days, months, years of my life when my oldest son passed away.  I was crushed when she got sick and I had to have her put to sleep.  I haven't been able to think about another cat.  Thought we would be traveling when we retired so I didn't want to have an animal that would need cared for.  Now my DH has mentioned more than once about getting one.  I think our long traveling days have passed so now I am considering it.  Does anyone have cats for the LO and how do they handle that?

Thanks for sharing.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am a dog person, but oh my; this is such a deeply touching story.   So glad his waning days will be spent with love, comfort and security.

Thank you, Ed,

J.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I have two cats and they pretty much are around me all day. 

They used to gravitate towards my husband because he fed them six times a day, yes you read this correctly.

If you want have cats around a person with dementia, be aware that they may be frightened of the person with dementia. My husband bites himself and yells a lot, the cats take off pretty fast when that happens.

Some animals sense when the person is “broken” and stays with them. I would stay around to make sure either the person with dementia gets bitten or scratched, or if the person who has dementia handles the cats roughly. I often have to stop my husband from hitting them because he has either been bitten or scratched because he hasn’t read the cat’s body language correctly.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more