Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Parachute

Chris Stapleton speaks to my soul.

Handyman is not much of a country music fan, but he tolerates my crank-it up days.

The song Parachute came on, he listened, turned to me and said, “that’s you.  You are my parachute.  You keep me from breaking anything when I fall.”

Stunned, I asked him what he meant.  He replied “ I forget…there are things I can;t seem to remember how to do.  You help me…you remember for me…you guide to remember things I’ve always known how to do.”

Then he walked outside to have a smoke.

It was an oh-so rare moment of clarity regarding his memory.   I was so gobsmacked, I had to catch my breath, but I could not stop my tears.  He so seldom says stuff like that.

He’d already forgotten when he came back in. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pl4c0kZUm2M

(I hope that sends you to a link to the song.)

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wow, what a sweet and insightful thing for him to say.   I'd call that a win.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Oh Lost, I know his words pulled on your heart! Those rare moments are so very special . The clarity he used to describe how he felt about you will stay forever. Thank you for sharing those beautiful moments.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    What a great post! That is surely a win. You won't forget about that one very soon.
  • Belldream
    Belldream Member Posts: 42
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    What a sweet wonderful thing to say and what a treasure for you to keep. Thank you for sharing it, those moments are so few now. It reminds me of how I describe alzheimers to friends and family who ask. Its like my DH is walking slowly down a dark staircase, and he travels 2 steps down and pauses a while, then one step up, then 2 more steps down. It's my job to hold the flashlight and help him not to stumble.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lost, That's so awesome, I wished I could add to all these treasured moments. Thanks for sharing. I needed this.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    I know you'll cherish that moment for a long time.  I'm so happy you have that to hold in your heart!
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

That must have been an amazing moment. The experts always say music can read/affect PWDs even after all other such interest are gone. Music goes to a different part of the brain, apparently, and  can have more impact.

That’s the Stapleton song that’s on all my mix tapes, btw. A big personal fav. Wish my DH could hear it….

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more