Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hit the sweet stage

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
Sure am glad for the information given on this site or I would be really upset now. I bought 12 CliffBars two days ago and DH has devoured them..  He just asked me if we had any bars. He doesn’t seem to understand that when he eats them all there are none left. I made him a peanut butter and banana sandwich which he loved. So now where should I hide the goodies?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    In with your underwear.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I keep my goodies in my "office," which is decreasingly used for working and is increasingly my "wife cave."
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Ah, ha ha!  Not funny at the time though.  I find a top cupboard shelf for my chocolate works at our house, so far.  Out of sight ….  Leftovers in the fridg are often gone by morning though.  Like you, it no longer bothers me, thanks to you all on this forum.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I keep snacks in the crisper in fridge. Dh can’t find anything in fridge unless it’s eye level. Sometimes not even then. He was looking right at the milk and asked where is the milk? 

Ed’s reply had me laughing!

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    My mom used to hide sweets, treats and baked goods inside the clothes dryer.  She knew it was a place my dad and brothers would never look because they never did laundry in their lives!  Worked like a charm.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Lol I had to laugh about the laundry. I used to hide things in the washing machine b/c DH never did laundry even when well.  Then I dumped a load of clothes in….barely caught in time! The car trunk also worked for nonperishables.

But all clothes drawers/shelves (even mine, which he never touched before)—basically any and all drawers/cabinets/shelves—didn’t work because of his excessive “rooting,” or hunting/gathering. He went through places I didn’t even know were places.

I sometimes put some refrigerator stuff inside another food box that he didn’t like.

I finally got a smallish lockbox for important things. It was truly amazing what he could find. He rarely knew exactly what it was, but had an uncanny ability to pick it/the important item out of all other stuff around it,  and move it somewhere.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have a basement mini fridge because my husband ate all my fruit, yoghurt, cheese etc. Being vegetarian it is sometimes difficult getting adequate protein, so my husband eating things that are great for me but don’t work for him. I have had to hide all cookies, popsicles etc. or he will eat it. For awhile he was eating hunks of butter which resulted in poo in the sink. Now I hide all the food. He has his almond milk and all the condiments he can eat in our main fridge.
  • michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Does anyone know why PWD crave sweets? My DH could always take or leave sweets. Then when this disease started I could never leave chocolate around. He would be into it even before his morning coffee! We had a sheet cake here after a party and he finished it off by himself. It's a puzzle.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Many or most PWDs lose their sense of taste and smell. But the preference for sweets is deeply ingrained in human, even shown in infants. Then later sweets remain tasty when many other things can’t be tasted or smelled much.

And, PWDs lose “filters”. Sometimes they didn’t eat much sweets before because they knew they’re not good for you. They had the self-discipline to not gorge. But that kind of awareness and discipline gets lost with dementia, they just want what they want, regardless.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I (hopefully) read “the sweet stage” as the sweet stage of caregiving, and was very excited to see when it is coming. Alas…

Hide that stuff in the veggie bin in the fridge.

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    I got a bunch of these child resistant locks and put them everywhere they were needed. I was afraid he might get into dangerous utensils/knives, household chemicals, medications, etc. They worked like a charm.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more