Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Posterior Cortical Atrophy(2)

Hello, my father was diagnosed with Posterior Cortical Atrophy at age 61yo. He is now 67yo and very impaired and dependent on my mom and myself for all ADLs. He has cortical blindness so cannot see anything on the left side along with the dementia. I am only 33yo so this has been a very unexpected shock losing my father so early and in this way. I have been looking into home health care but this is difficult as he is not aware of the extent of the disease and in denial so it is hard figuring out how to bring someone in to help. I have not had my own children yet, starting late with my husband due to professional career. It breaks my heart that my own children will never know my dad. Has anyone else dealt with an early onset dementia like this and have any advice for me?

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Rachelle and a very warm welcome to you.   I am so very sorry for what is happening and can certainly understand your heartbreak.   I would like to make  a suggestion.  We can choose to Post on any Forum we wish or all of them if we wish.  This particular Forum, however, is not well attended. 

I would like to suggest Posting this Thread on the Caregiver's Forum or even on the Spousal/Partner Forum. Those two Forums are the ones that have the most responses and input.  Even though this is not your Partner, many Members who are not spouses do Post on the Spousal/Partner Forum too as it is very personal and dynamic; all are welcome.  We have had Members whose Loved Ones (LOs) have had PCA; I am not certain if they are still active or not.  If they are and happen to see the title of your Thread, they will undoubtedly respond if still present.  It can take a few days for some folks to respond as many are not on the site every day, so do keep looking to see if you have any new input.

Your dear father is blessed to have such a loving and caring wife and daughter, you will find many Members here who understand fully what you are experiencing as they too are walking  difficult paths.

Let us know how you are, we truly do care and are all here in support of one another, and that now includes you too!

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney