Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just read a good book - helps me understand

I just read a great book that helps me understand my DW . It’s Flowers for Algernon

It’s a fictional book, but really helped me understand what’s going on in her mind. 

Matter of fact this morning in bed, before getting up, I spent an hour hinting that I needed sex. Needless to say, it wasn’t picked up on . It got me angry, but I held it in. I let her pick her own clothes- I usually do that. So she came out and while I was reading, I saw that she had done really good. She walked back into the hallway and I noticed half of top was tucked in and half wasn’t. She was oblivious. It made me melt. Part of it was because of the book.

I’m learning a lot. I have to give her space. I have to slow down. I just don’t want to loose my drive by slowing down too much.

Anyway, great book.

Anyone else have books that have helped with understanding?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi Jer. Anytime you find something that helps you understand, that's a win. If you haven't already seen it, here is a link to an excellent read on dementia. https://www.alzconnected.org/uploadedFiles/understanding-the-dementia-experience.pdf  
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    If you’re looking for more if a story than an instructional read, try Still Alice, by Lisa Genova.
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Flowers for Algernon - it's been awhile since I read that. Definitely a good book.

I found Somebody I Used to Know by Wendy Mitchell to be very helpful when my sister was in the earlier stages.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Watched "Flowers For Algernon" on my laptop; had to get through a couple of short ads first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B7En7qg6rg  

The link Ed gives is an excellent one based in reality and gives detailed and clear understanding of  the "why's" of the ongoing changes.

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Jo C. wrote:

Watched "Flowers For Algernon" on my laptop; had to get through a couple of short ads first:

Since you watched it, and left a link, so did I. I doubt that I watched more than 2 hours of TV in the last month, unless it was a ballgame. But that was worth watching. Thanks for the link.

• jer210520
    jer210520 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment First Anniversary

Thanks for the book suggestions

Keep ‘em coming!!!

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes

Thoughtful Dementia Care: Understanding the Dementia Experience Kindle Edition by  Jennifer Ghent-Fuller 

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Non-fiction books written by spouses of PWD:

Ice Cream in the Cupboard by Pat Moffett

Mike and Me by Rosalyn Peel

Stop and Smell the Garbage by Christina Sutton

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Living with Alzheimer's... by Amy Newmark

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    The original movie of  Flowers for Algernon was called Charly.  Cliff Robertson got the Best Actor Oscar for it.  Great book, great movie.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    My DH was a middle school English and history teacher.   He had a reading class elective, and the students loved "Flowers for Algernon."  I think he was also able to show the movie. It seemed like science fiction rather than something real.  Who would have guessed!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more