Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Community Memory Care Facilities Contracted to Accept VA Disability

jmlarue
jmlarue Member Posts: 511
100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

A relative who works for the VA as a social worker in Boise, ID gave me a heads up that there are some MC facilities in the community that are contracted to accept payment for disabled veterans directly from the VA. I am currently making phone calls to find out how I can identify those facilities in the nearby region in my state. I will post follow-up information as I discover it. 

If there is anyone out there who's already done this legwork, I would surely appreciate any and all information you can provide. 

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I don’t have any information but I sure want to wish all the luck! I just found out a mc facility in Rockwall Texas, which is only 15 miles from where we live takes VA payment. Caring for Mom is the organization that I got my information from.  

Good luck!! 

• jmlarue
    Joydean - That's good news. I'm getting conflicting information about availability here. One story is that it's only for short term care needs like: rehab after surgery, respite care, stroke recovery. So far, no good news about longer term dementia care. I'll keep digging.
  • Joydean
    Jmlarue, some days it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack digging out the truth. I do hope you find the information you need (and in writing) !
  • jmlarue

It's been a long day of dozens of calls looking for a care facility for which the VA will pay the bill. So far, just more brick walls. I have an appointment with our CELA on Thursday.  Tomorrow will be spent gathering significant documents together. Hoping the CELA will be able to help me to get guardianship for my DH and protect some assets in case Medicaid becomes my only option. The guardianship will, at least, allow me to involuntarily commit my DH for psych treatment without giving up rights of the DPOA to be consulted on his treatment going forward. 

I also have a consultation set for next week to speak with an in-home caregiver service. Hoping to get someone for 3 or 4 hours one day a week to start so I can get some small respite. There is also an adult daycare opportunity in a neighboring town (40 mile roundtrip) that I'm looking into. Of course, I'm dubious that my DH will cooperate with either option, but at this point I'll try anything once.

• Joydean
    Jmlarue, the sc with VA should be able to help with the home care. The one I worked with got us approved for 11 hours a week. I have a lady that comes 2x a week for 4 hours each day. My dh was not happy with the idea at first but now he’s getting used to it. It gives me a little time to take care of others things.  The agency I used checking on mc was A Place for Mom, the lady I spoke with was very knowledgeable about the VA. I don’t know if they are in your area. But it’s worth checking out. Wishing you all the luck and praying for you and your dh. Good luck Thursday with your appointment! Deep breathing!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    JM, I know it feels like you are in a maze with no way out. Your husband is a lucky man to have you. I'm sending lots of good wishes your way to get some good results.
  • jmlarue

Joydean - Funny you should mention A Place for Mom. That was one of the first phone calls I made yesterday. It didn't take her 5 minutes to totally discourage me by saying, "Everything I can refer you to is private pay in the neighborhood of $8,000 per month." There was simply no discussion on her part regarding VA benefits. The more I bang my head on the walls, the more outraged I become. It's becoming difficult maintain a civil tone with a lot of these folks.

A side note - I was reading a Pub Med article from the NIH regarding some new drugs that are being trialed specifically for treating elderly dementia patients, because the typical antipsychotics like Seroquel, Risperidone, Quetiapine, et al are simply not working reliably. In the introductory paragraphs of the article it stated that as much as 90% of all elderly persons with ALZ and other forms of dementia will exhibit anxious, paranoid, angry, aggressive and violent behavior in the mid to late stages of progression. I found this high number surprising. Through this forum and other research, I had the distinct impression that these extreme behaviors were not that common. Given the difficulty in finding care for our LO's with a history of these behaviors, it's a wonder any of us is able to find suitable placement. JMHO

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Beware - A Place for Mom will only deal with you if you are private pay only.  They are only interested in obtaining a "finder's fee" from the facilities they send you to.

If you tell them you have a long-term care policy or any government benefits, especially Medicaid, they will not pursue you.  So if you're being harassed by them the magic words are "oh my LO needs Medicaid" and they will ghost you.
  • Joydean

Jmlarue, I’m so sorry your experience with a place for mom was terrible. I would not have ever mentioned it. I was surprised when the lady I spoke with was so nice and very helpful and knowledgeable about the VA.  I did learn about some of the VA forms from that lady. Again I was trying to be helpful. I truly hope you can find a good and safe place for your dh. I know all that you have been through and still are has to be so very frustrating. Best of luck to you tomorrow with your appointment.

That article you were reading is very scary. I did not know that rate was so high! 

• Joydean
    Jmlarue, have you seen the video about the PACT act that was just signed today? I was just watching it and a neuropsychologist was explaining the impact of agent orange and dementia. As soon as I saw part of it I thought about you and had to let you know so you can read it. I had just got the email and had to stop and let you know. Was your husband in Vietnam?  If so was he around that chemical?  Check it out when you get time.!
  • jmlarue
    Joydean - Yes, I did see an update on the PACT act. DH was in Vietnam and has been awarded 100% permanent disability for several chronic illnesses presumed caused by exposure to Agent Orange. It took me a full year to navigate the maze of VA forms, medical reviews, more forms and medical reviews to increase his rating as his vascular dementia progressed. DH had already lost so much cognition, he really couldn't do any of this himself or participate in a meaningful way. The 100% rating was a hard-won victory that promised so many benefits for his ongoing care needs. That's why it's so discouraging to find so many of those benefits delayed or deferred for months or years. The cynical among us believe the bureaucracy expects the Vets to die before they see the end of the waiting lists.
  • LunaCat
    LunaCat Member Posts: 7
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My husband is retired from the Navy. He currently attends a ‘for profit’ adult day care facility. This facilities care program is approved by the VA, so they have a contract with the VA to be paid directly. The VA pays the total cost for the veteran directly to the facility.
    To get any funding, the vet needs to be enrolled in the VA healthcare system. This can be done by visiting any VA clinic. My H sees a VA general physician once a year for blood work and a checkup. All his other doctors (PCP, neurologist, dermatologist, etc.) are not VA. Once you are in the VA system you will be assigned a Social Worker. This person will be able to help you with most of your questions.

A good place to start for info is - caregiver.va.gov.  They also have a toll free number - 1-855-260-3274. I have called them regarding other benefits for my H. They were very helpful and kind. They either gave me info or referred me to someone who could help. I was impressed by how long they spent just talking to me.

Hope this helps.

• jmlarue

I'm glad you've had a better experience with the VA than I have. It's hard to explain how our experiences can be so very different unless, of course, you and your DH live in a more urban location with access to more than a single contracted VA provider. Our Catch 22 is that we live 75-100 miles away from metropolitan Seattle/Tacoma where the main VA hospitals are located. In our suburban/rural area, there is a single contracted SNF and another single provider of in-home caregivers. Both complain of short staff and long waiting lists to get a bed or even just someone to help in the home one day a week. Depending on who you talk to, the wait lists can be as little as 6 months and as much as 2 years. There is no contracted provider for services like adult day care. 

The social workers can say we're approved for 12 hours of in-home care per month or 2-week in-patient care in a facility to provide respite. Even so, the contracted facility can't provide what it doesn't have - warm bodies to do the work or a bed to provide inpatient care. The only real options are all private pay. The nearest adult daycare provider is 20 miles away and strictly private pay - approximately $100 per 5-hour day and 1 1/2 hours total travel time to make 2 roundtrips. On the balance scale, it hardly seems worth the effort and expense. A private pay, in-home caregiver costs $35/hr on average. It's hard not to become cynical and resentful when it becomes clear that those promised VA benefits are little more than a carrot on a stick for a lot of veteran spouses or family caregivers.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    jmlarue wrote:

A side note - I was reading a Pub Med article from the NIH regarding some new drugs that are being trialed specifically for treating elderly dementia patients, because the typical antipsychotics like Seroquel, Risperidone, Quetiapine, et al are simply not working reliably. In the introductory paragraphs of the article it stated that as much as 90% of all elderly persons with ALZ and other forms of dementia will exhibit anxious, paranoid, angry, aggressive and violent behavior in the mid to late stages of progression. I found this high number surprising. Through this forum and other research, I had the distinct impression that these extreme behaviors were not that common. Given the difficulty in finding care for our LO's with a history of these behaviors, it's a wonder any of us is able to find suitable placement. JMHO

jmlarue, that 90% includes anxious behavior? I would guess that most Alz/Dementia patients experience anxious behavior. I’ve read a lot of studies on violent or aggressive behavior and even including verbal aggression I’m seeing mostly numbers under 20%.

• jmlarue
    Hard to know how much weight was given to each of these behaviors. There are certainly degrees of separation for most. I think we're fools to take every article like this without question. I remember the words of Mark Twain, "Figures lie and liars figure." It's the paranoia, hallucinations, over the top anger, aggressiveness, and lashing out that that most troubles me. I never expected my DH to exhibit such behaviors - they are so contrary to the man's inherent nature. Does it all stem from that "fight or flight" anxiety? I don't think anyone really knows. If they did, we'd be on our way toward fixing the problem.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    jmlarue, I hope your meeting with the CELA went well and that you were able to move forward on getting guardianship for your DH.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Jmlarue, I'm so sorry to hear that the VA is not helping you take care of your husband.  Talk about kicking a guy when he's down.  The Vietnam war took such a toll on our families, with so many killed and so many dying later from agent orange exposure, and untreated PTSD.  I have two brothers who returned from that war, one as an alcoholic with PTSD, and the other who died twenty years later from leukemia and lymphoma caused by agent orange.  I wonder if your husband's violent behavior has to do with his service experience.  I'll never forget my kind gentle brother throwing me across the room when I went to wake him for dinner, and he had a flashback.  Hugs for you both. OO

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more