Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Serenity/Relaxation Videos

DW can no longer focus on most TV shows. She would get up and wander when we watched anything with dialogue as she can't really follow. Sometimes we can watch a nature video but I need to select benign ones with playful meerkats but not lion kills. Lately however I turn to the plain youtube channel (not youtube TV) on our Roku for what they call Serenity or Relaxation videos. For a taste of these lookup Tim Janis on youtube. They are usually hours long. 

These are videos with slow panning pleasant nature scenes with accompanying gentle soothing music. DW can stay focused on them for literally hours, sometimes with her eyes closed but not really asleep. These videos although hours long are really composed of about 40-50 short scenes that last collectively about 15 minutes and repeat endlessly. DW does not seem to notice or mind. The Tim Janis ones have no commercials. 

I was introduced to these videos when I visited an MCF. They were playing on various large TVs around. Patients were not required to watch these as part of an activity, they were just there and some patients would gravitate to them and sit seemingly mesmerized. This is true for my DW. She occasionally comments on something she sees but mostly just watches. The unfortunate part is that I have to be in the vicinity or sitting next to her or she will get up and wander. I can at least browse my iPad while she watches, reading a book however is not possible for me at least. 

Just thought I would mention these videos in case anyone else could benefit from them. 

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    Thank you for this. We/I use these a lot, from other sources, but same thing. They seem very calming, and watchable, for my DH with Alzheimer’s, and I actually use them myself often to fall asleep at night.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more