Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm a fighter

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I mentioned in a previous post that when my wife was in the hospital, the doctor(s) changed my wife's medications without consulting me. I filed a complaint, but I never got the letter telling me of the results of how they were going to handle it. So I called about that, and they said they would send a copy of the letter that I did not receive. Yesterday I received the copy. It said:

"Thank you for contacting us with your concerns from Mrs. Ladendorf's visit on 3rd floor medical/surgical, May 26, 2022 - 6/3/2022. You shared with us that you were concerned about multiple medications that were changed during your wife's hospitalization. More specifically, that these changes were not discussed with you. You shared that you became aware of the medication changes when you obtained a copy of your wife's discharge paperwork and voiced concerns that some of the medication changes could have affected her condition.

Your concerns were forwarded to the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Medical Officer, ED Medical Director, Quality Improvement Director, and the Manager of 3rd floor Medical/Surgical Unit for investigation. We would like to apologize for any negative experience that you may have encountered as that is not our goal or in-line with our Franciscan values. Please know that your feedback has been shared with staff and that we are actively working to improve communication regarding medications.

Mr. and Mrs. Ladendorf, we do appreciate the opportunity to see matters "through your eyes" as it is our goal to provide our patients with excellent care. We hope that you will consider partnering with Franciscan Health Crown Point for your future medical needs. File 214980 will be considered closed as of July 6, 2022.

Sincerely,"

This seems to me like a rubber stamp reply to people who have complaints like mine. I will get copies of her medical records, then have a talk with the administrator or his/her assistant. This is not an acceptable reply in my eyes.

I am not looking for a lawsuit. I'm not a litigious person. But I will insist on an apology from the doctor(s), and the promise that they will discuss medication changes with someone who holds a DPOA.

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

forget an apology what you want is a protocol change in writing

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed this is very similar to the response I received regarding the complaint i filed against the psych hospital and staff in March 2022.  The state Department of Health was the most prompt; they made a surprise inspection while my partner was still hospitalized and stated in a letter that the hospital was "in violation of regulations and laws."  No further follow-up, and certainly no apology was forthcoming then or since.  Medicare I'm still waiting on (could take up to three years).  The State Board of Medical Examiners stated that my complaint against the doctor did not "rise to the level of public rebuke" but is maintained in her file.

Feels like spitting in the wind, but better than not doing anything.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

You have to be a fighter. This disease requires you to be a fighter, for yourself and for your LO.  Good for you!

I got a similar response after I was forced to file a formal grievance with our healthcare provider for violating my wife's patient's rights.  I did get her the appointment that was needed though.

I'm going to be fighting again because when my wife was in the ER recently, the ER doc transferred her to a hospital 2.5 hours away without my consent, or knowledge and nobody had the decency to call me beforehand or even after.  I went to see her in the ER and they gave me a sticky note with the hospital name and room number. The doc apologized, but still.  Unacceptable.

• saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Several years ago I had an issue with our HMO. I can't even remember now what it was, but i  know it involved lack of communication between HMO actions and patient. I filed a complaint and said I wanted a written plan of what the HMO planned on doing to remediate this problem so other patients did not have a similar experience.  I did receive a letter saying the problem would be discussed at a staff meeting, but I never got anything further than that. And I did not follow up with it.  Probably should have.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I meant to add "Good for you Ed for following through.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed I am there right now. I found out yesterday about noon that a doctor had  been consulted in, about a little more than a week ago, the MD was the one who prescribe the lasix for my wife and then they had to stop it cause her BP drop to low. I basically found out by accident. So the np couldn't tell me about it cause he didn't prescribe it. I told them today if they change anything or add anything I want to know. HAHA the np said they couldn't do it, they don't have time. I need to start a post to update my wife. This is BS, the np said all I have to do is call. So far that system is broken as well. Sorry to all you medical people I am not bashing you but a broken system. I Have an ombudsman who will here about this.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I call that a "blow-off" letter.  It's a form letter where they fill in dates and locations that pertain to her stay and apologize in general.  You can order her medical records, but unless you hire an attorney they will not pay any attention to you.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I have two nephews who are personal injury lawyers. One of them was awarded "trial lawyer of the year". I don't want to file a lawsuit, like I said. But one of the changes in meds might have had an impact on her death, so I think I have enough going for me to maybe make sure they honor people who have DPOAs in the future. It's not about me. It's about protecting the rights of others in the future.
  • Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank you Ed!  Hopefully, you will have an impact on the future experiences of others.  I am so sorry you guys went through this.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you Ed, you are a fighter, you’re fighting for what’s right. Don’t back down.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more