Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dear Abby

JJ401
JJ401 Member Posts: 312
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

The August 3 Dear Abby column has a letter from a spouse (diagnosed with Lewy Body) saying he knows his wife was unfaithful because he heard her talking in the phone and when he confronted her she confessed. Dear Abby advised him to respect her honesty and forgive her.

https://www.uexpress.com/life/dearabby/2022/08/03   (You may have to scroll  down for the letter)

I’ve no problem with the Dear Abby answer. If the letter writer accepts it, and it works, fine. My problem came when I read the comments. The majority of the comments disagree with Dear Abby — divorce the wife, make sure she doesn't get your money, find a nice nursing home, etc. The gloss over or don’t recognize the Lewy Body diagnosis is unsettling.Our national lack of understanding of dementia strikes again. 

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

OMG- that letter should have never made it to the light of day.  Whomever is writing Dear Abby now has no way of  knowing if any of it actually happened, or if it is a delusion/ hallucinations. It’s sad because I believe the original  Dear Abby ( or her sister, the other advice columnist) died of dementia. Now that people can add comments, you get all sorts of ridiculous things 

Reading the first letter of the column and then reading the second letter makes  it even worse.  There’s obviously an issue with naked grandma too. 

Our paper quit carrying Dear Abby in favor of sone Ask Caroline column. Mostly combinations of one liner quips as answers.   

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more