Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

M1(4)

Stewart, don't let then flummox you into taking her home with threats over payment. She is not ready for discharge until there is a plan in place. Period. So if the other facility hasn't seen/accepted her, she's not ready for discharge. That's their problem, not yours.

M1 thanks for your input so much, I know zero about how this is supposed to work. 

The first place rejected her on the wandering thing exit seeking. And they have covid and can't accept new patients till they have it somewhat controlled.

If you could help me understand what they have to do, the sw has sent a refferal to the place I am gonna visit today, I did try to tour it last week but they had a sprinkler pipe break in the NH side and I didn't  know that the time she was gonna go to assisted living  till last Friday. They will tour the AL 

I am doing whatever they ask. But I don't really have extra money to blow on this geripsych visit. She has original Medicare and a plan f supplement insurance which has been great so far.

I cannot believe they think al is an option she's gonna walk out if they don't  have a way to monitor her. 

Thanks for your help. I didn't  sleep a wink last night, worrying about all this. I know I shouldn't worry but I do.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I am sorry it's so hard, it seems to be that way for everyone.   I think you just need to keep it simple and keep saying, "I cannot care for her at home."  Period.  That's a trick the politicians learn when they get asked questions by journalists--don't answer the question, keep saying what you want to say.  All you can do is repeat:  I cannot care for her at home.  And it's the truth, Stewart.  But they WILL put pressure on you; obviously if you agree to discharge home, it's no longer their problem.  The only way I see you getting into trouble is if there is a facility with an open bed that accepts her and you reject it for some reason.  Try not to let that happen.  Even if it's not your first choice, it would be a step, and would buy you time to continue searching other options if you aren't happy with it.

I don't know if your local Council on Aging might be any help--I seem to remember that you've talked to them before?  

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thanks and I won't reject anything. Bar 1 for sure that Medicare flagged for abuse. I did talk with the aaad and they are doing my Medicaid- tn care.

Thanks again

• toolbeltexpert
    Well here's a quick update I was on my way to the place where the referral was sent, they called me, rejected again. Elopement wandering, ect. I haven't  heard back from the sw, but today is my day to visit dw. I only get 3 times a week and 30 minutes each time. The nurse from the aaa d said she got dw records and reviewed them and gave her a 9 which would be a mc placement when approved I might hear back from them next week early? The day is still young who knows what might happen.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

If the sw is trying to get her into AL she will continue to be rejected as they cannot monitor her for wandering/escaping.

SW needs to change his search for MC which sounds more what her needs are at this point.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Stewart I agree that this SW sounds off base. Can you ask to speak to a supervisor? You could also take your concerns to the nursing supervisor. Probably a way to do it without undue confrontation but I would absolutely stand your ground on this.
  • toolbeltexpert

M1 I wonder if they drill in the sw's heads, if the caregiver "says they can't come home because of safety". They say You might end up bringing her home, or you could have to pay for this if this goes on much longerl. I have heard those phases repeated to me by the sw. Fear tatics.well it worked last night,I didn't sleep a wink, today while I was waiting to see dw, I was so tired I thought I was just gonna fall asleep.i also had eaten  and I can get real sleepy sometimes after eating

Our visit was the best I have ever had, I starting saying I am gonna get you In a better hospital closer to home, she sounded agreeable each time I repeated it.

She has a little twitch every now and then nothing bad, she maybe holding a little fluid in her ankles, nothing bad. I just wanted to bring her home. This is by far the hardest decision to make! But I wonder if the social activity might be helping? But having to change now and it might not be a permanent move makes this decision even harder., change is bad,really bad. I can really see a big difference in her. Right now I only get to see her 3 times a week for 30 min. When I left today she was easily redirected when I was leaving. 

I also think of you and often in my prayers, I keep praying for a better outcome for you and your dw being able to meet and hug. I saw your one post where your wife was studying  the vase she was gonna paint,did she continue it, post a picture if you get one. You help her to continue that quality of life,that's so awesome!

Highlight of the day I got to mow in the rain. The rain didn't last long, I mowed 3 hours on my zero turn. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    toolbeltexpert wrote:

Our visit was the best I have ever had, I starting saying I am gonna get you In a better hospital closer to home, she sounded agreeable each time I repeated it.

Stewart, that's definitely a win. I hope you get many more soon.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Ed1937 wrote:
    toolbeltexpert wrote:

Stewart, that's definitely a win. I hope you get many more soon.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Stewart, I’m glad you had a good visit this time. Maybe it’s the Zeprexia starting to work. I hope she continues to do well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more