Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another night lost in the ER

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

I apologize in advance for whining, particularly because I am not up to date on reading posts by others. I know that people are dealing with worse things every day. 

I got the call from the MCF right after dinner last night that my wife had fallen again. My new instructions after multiple trips to the ER is to call me first for permission (Unless it’s an obvious emergency). She was found on the floor, having fallen unobserved. She had a large hematoma on her forehead, and I was told she was bleeding profusely from a cut that would need stitches. I agreed to have her sent, primarily because of the stitches. 

Fast forward to 9:00 AM today, 14 hours later. I followed the ambulance back to the MCF and saw my wife back to her room and bed. In between, she received the following services:

Vital signs taken three times. 

Blood drawn once. 

Administer night meds.

CAT scan, took two tries because she cannot stay still. Had to be medicated until she was inert. 

That’s it. 14 hours. Most of the time was waiting for the doctors to evaluate tests and prescribe the next step. The horrors of the ER that I thought were in our past obviously aren’t. My revised directives seem to have had no affect. 

On the positive side, the Nurses and Techs that took care of her were fantastic. The first doctor was also good, he actually did more than just introduce himself, make promises, and run away. But there was still a 7 hour delay between telling me that she would get a CT and getting a successful scan.   Two hours after scan, It was all clear and she would be discharged. Actual discharge 2-1/2 hours later. She received no medical treatment, only testing. 

I know lately I’ve mostly been whining, instead of contributing answers, comfort, and sympathy. Thanks for listening. 

Dave

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

David having worked in an ER I know that happens a lot but it is wrong. If more emphasis was placed on discharging patients more rooms would open faster. Another issue that affects your time in the ER is when the doctor seeing you gets on shift. If you are one of his first you will be seen quickly and discharged faster. If you are his 25th patient there are many others who need discharging before you.

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

DH and I have, at various times, waited between 5 and 8 hours for discharge paperwork to be completed—this is after all docs said we were free to go medically, just had to do that “discharge” process.

Meanwhile, people were waiting several hours in ER halls, beds, etc., for rooms, after being admitted. They just needed a room. And we needed to get out—except discharge paperwork.

I know hospitals are complicated beyond my imaginations, but sheesh, this has always seemed like such a bad thing to get hung up on.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    CCan I share this with  Dr  whom  are trying to make it better.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    David in my opinion you are not whining. You are right when you said the horror’s of ER. Last time I took dh to er it was 4am. He had fallen and had a glass in his hand. Glass in his hand and feet. I got as much of it out that I could but could not get the bleeding stopped. How he found a glass I don’t know because I thought I had gotten rid of all of them and only had plastic ones. Anyway as I pulled into er a paramedic was coming out and he helped me get dh inside and he stayed with us until a doctor came in. ( he was a hero to me) doctor put stitches in and they ran ct scans. Moved us to a room while waiting on scan results. At 7am doctor said everything looks good but we are going to watch him for a couple of hours and then you can take him home. So I’m thinking 9:30 or 10 we will be leaving. Noon came and dh was hungry and I could hear the food cart outside our room. I asked the lady if dh was getting lunch and she said he’s not on the list. I didn’t want to leave him to go to cafeteria, the lady said if there’s a extra tray I will bring it to him. She did! We waited and waited. One I called the nurses desk to find out about discharge paperwork. Will check on it. Did the same at 3, every hour I was asking and got the same reply. At 11:30 pm house cleaning came in to clean the room and was surprised and told me this room is supposed to be empty! At midnight a nurse came in and asked me why we were still in that room! Thank goodness dh was sleeping because I was not a very nice person. Nurse brought me the discharge paperwork that had been signed at 9:45 am! Not saying nurses are all incompetent (our daughter is RN) but that day several were sitting on their butts!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    David, I think we all "get it". Whenever a trip to ER is expected, I always figure on at least 8 hours. If there's another option, I'll take it.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Last week my DH had a TIA like episode and we chose to wait and see our own doc the next day rather than submitting to the ER.  We both would have had major strokes if we went there.  I know it wasn’t a good medical decision though.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more