Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Honeydeb

I created a new thread as I didn’t know if you would see this otherwise. My friend faced the same issue with her step children being in denial. She sent each an email with a doctor’s report diagnosing Alzheimer’s and they finally accepted it. My husband was a lot like yours 4 years ago. He was fit but was starting to get lost driving. I asked him to stop driving before he got so lost that we had to to call an Amber Alert. I also reminded him that if he was involved in a serious or fatal accident involving others he could never live with himself. Lastly I said if he caused an accident it would be deemed his fault and we could lose everything. I just made sure to drive my car and leave his in the garage. I talked about his failing memory in a pretty matter of fact way and never used the word dementia. I kept telling him how lucky he was to be so healthy otherwise. Fast forward to the summer of 2021 when he started getting lost on walks and I brought in two caregivers to go for walks with him and so I could have a break. This summer I placed him in memory care and he has done OK. Good luck on this horror journey we are on.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more