Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Steady state covid Currently 500 deaths a day

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Covid has become endemic in the USA  the current death toll is about 500 per day 
for a comparison there are about 67 homicides per day in the USA 

Alzheimer's patients remain at very high risk 

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    What if each and every day a plane with 500 people dropped out of sky in US killing all on board?
  • elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    For perspective, cancer.org says there are approximately 1,670 cancer deaths per day in the U.S. In 3-5 years, my daughter will probably be added to that count.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Cancer is a terrible disease.  I’m So sorry about your daughter.      We need to figure out ways to prevent it and treat it even more than  we have. However it’s not contagious and cannot be passed from person to person. Dementia is also a terrible disease and everything I just said about cancer can be said  about it. 

Covid is transmitted from people to people as is the flu.  Although we have  reduced the daily death rate for Covid so that it is comparable to the flu- the flu is only 3 months or so a year.  Covid is year round.  So the covid death rate per year is still at least 4 times higher than the flu. In addition, I’ve never heard of ‘ long flu’, and we definitely have ‘ long covid’ which negatively impacts many including our loved ones with dementia. 

We still have a long way to go. 

• Crushed
    elainechem wrote:
    For perspective, cancer.org says there are approximately 1,670 cancer deaths per day in the U.S. In 3-5 years, my daughter will probably be added to that count.

For perspective we have had cancer for thousands of years
    This one is new

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Crushed wrote:

This one is new

Okay, I'll play along. HIV/AIDS is also a relatively new virus. According to the CDC, approximately 5,115 people will die of that this year. They estimate that 3,943 people will die from hepatitis (all forms), 5,943 will die from influenza, and 53,544 will die from flu/pneumonia. 
    Dead is dead. Why all the hysteria about SARS-COV-2  these days? It has mutated into a far less deadly strain. Chances are, it will continue to mutate because that's what viruses do. 
    My husband died of Alzheimer's disease in February of 2020 - just weeks before the pandemic started. And since then, it's been like, "Oh, he died of Alzheimer's? That's so sad. But wasn't he lucky that he didn't have COVID-19?" No, he wasn't lucky. I would have given anything if his mind had been intact all those years and he would have died after a comparatively short illness from COVID-19. You know?
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks, Crushed. I appreciate your updates. I cannot find much info any more, and they've stopped giving local updates. One of my siblings told me... in her area (a thousand miles from me) the figures were as high as they ever were and she is masking herself again when going out and about.

A couple weeks ago it seemed like everybody we knew and heard about was getting very ill, some needing hospitalization, most at least one trip or two to ER. That was only my direct experience, not reported. I wish they'd continue some coverage of the stats on the general news board. (I could probably find it if I go hunting and digging, but I don't have time and energy for it.)

Somehow my husband and I have avoided illness for the past 2.5 years. <knock on wood>  I don't know how long this fortunate streak will continue.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Storycrafter there is a web site Covidactnow.org, sorry I don’t know how to make a link.  Enter your zip code and it will bring up your state risk and your community risk. Use this to help me be aware and act accordingly.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Crushed
    elainechem wrote:
    Crushed wrote:

This one is new

if you provided citations it makes discussion more productive

CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2021 through June 11, 2022, there have been:

5,000 – 14,000
    flu deaths  

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

I am sorry about your husband but this is a CONTAGIOUS  respiratory disease

Among the 387,112 deaths due to pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19 reported during 2021–22, a total of 277,350 (71.6%) death certificates listed COVID-19 as an underlying or contributing cause of death, and 2,493 (0.6%) listed influenza, indicating that pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19–associated mortality during 2021–22 was due primarily to COVID-19 and not influenza.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7129a1.htm

That is why its important , failure to take precautions kills a lot of people

Okay, I'll play along. HIV/AIDS is also a relatively new virus. According to the CDC, approximately 5,115 people will die of that this year. They estimate that 3,943 people will die from hepatitis (all forms), 5,943 will die from influenza, and 53,544 will die from flu/pneumonia. 
    Dead is dead. Why all the hysteria about SARS-COV-2  these days? It has mutated into a far less deadly strain. Chances are, it will continue to mutate because that's what viruses do. 
    My husband died of Alzheimer's disease in February of 2020 - just weeks before the pandemic started. And since then, it's been like, "Oh, he died of Alzheimer's? That's so sad. But wasn't he lucky that he didn't have COVID-19?" No, he wasn't lucky. I would have given anything if his mind had been intact all those years and he would have died after a comparatively short illness from COVID-19. You know?

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    II am now starting to wonder  on how many more will die from it because they were stupid  like I yo get the shots. I am now starting to hear that. And for the record many more with dementia  the each day.
  • ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thanks, Sayra for the website

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia