Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My Dear Wife just passed

Hello Everyone,

My dear wife of 43 years, together for 49, passed away from this life July 26.  She had been living in MC for the last 2 years.  She was a very healthy 66 year old, but developed pneumonia, and died within days of the diagnosis.  Her family was by her side when she took her last breath.  I was (am) devastated, but wanted to let this whole community know some thoughts as we all deal with this terrible disease.

First, this forum has been a life saver for me (literally), because following EO diagnosis (age 60), I had no one to talk to-- it is not as common as you may think.  Then Covid, then placement in MC, then Covid lockdowns again.  During these times I read how others were coping and found that my situation was less difficult than many. Thank you all for reaching out

Secondly, the world is a lot nicer and compassionate than the talking heads of media want us to believe.  During my DW cognitive decline, help from others was sincere. Her MC was Awesome, and the staff was so compassionate, so my DW was always happy, and safe.  She never wanted to 'go home', as she felt loved and cared for at her new home.

When she suddenly passed, the outpouring of sympathy (and shock) was almost overwhelming, and although it made me cry a lot, it was soothing, and has helped me through this tough time.  And finally, when I needed to make arrangements for her Celebration of Life, the process of finding pictures, images of all of the fun we had and places/people we had seen, it helps to understand she/we had a great life;  too short, but a great life.  The celebration was attended by so many more that we expected, and the funny stories shared has helped us to heal.

She is at peace, and hopefully my memories will not be filled with her cognitive decline, but instead with all of the joy we shared as my Beautiful Wife.

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Jed, I send my heartfelt condolences to you regarding the death of your beloved, lovely wife.  Thank you for letting us know; your Post is beautifully written and the love and partnership you shared throughout your lives is a testament to the wonderfully filled life you built and led together.

May you find solace in the beauty of all that was shared and in knowing that you have gone the distance for her as best as could be done and she deeply benefitted from your care and advocacy.  Love is never lost.

J.

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    My condolences to you, and a long distance hug.  Thank you for sharing your lovely thoughts.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

JED,

So sorry for your loss. Find solace in good memories and the love you shared. 

Dave

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

JED  I’m so sorry for the loss of your Dear Wife.

Thank you for sharing statement number two.

Sayra

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    My deepest sympathy for your loss. She was a beautiful woman and I can tell from your post that you loved her dearly.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    So sorry for your loss, your an example for us all. Your care and love, show in your post she was the most important thing in your life. Thanks for sharing.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Yes , she is at peace and I hope you are too.  Remember the good times and her suffering is over. Hoot
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    So sorry for your loss! Be comforted in knowing that her suffering is over. She's in a good place now. And hopefully you'll be able to care for yourself and live.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Jed, I'm sorry for your devastating loss. I hope you can find comfort in the memories you have,
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

JED, my heartfelt condolences to you. Your wife is a beautiful lady and your love for her shows. May God give you peace and strength as you and your family go through the days. 

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

JED, my sincere sympathy for the loss of your dear wife.

Thank you for sharing so many things with us.  It gave me a sense of peace.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jed, My sincere condolences on the loss of your wife. May you find some peace in the days ahead.
  • Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

The Sad part of loving someone is losing them, especially when they are lost to Alzheimer’s long before they take their finial breath. As you said she is at peace, however there will be times when your  memories will  be filled with her cognitive decline, and a sadness that’s just part of the grief process, but when that happens just remind yourself of all of the joy you shared with your Beautiful Wife. Alzheimer’s may have taken her physical presence from you but it can’t take away the love you shared with each other, and beautiful life you built with each other.    God’s Blessings to you Richard

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I’m very sorry for the loss of your precious wife. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    So sorry for the loss of your DW. What a beautiful photograph!
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Dear Jed,

I am so sorry for the loss of your DW.  It's true, there are so many kind people around and I'm glad you had support.  It' s been a long road for you.  God bless you and please take care of you.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

(((Jed)))

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have so many that have come out to comfort you.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm so sorry for your loss and for how sudden it was. May God bless you and your family.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My deepest condolences to you, JED, on your DW’s passing.  May her memory be a blessing.  

Jeff

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney