Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

our turn for covid

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,723
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Got an email last Monday that there were three cases on the MC unit and today my partner tested positive.  They are NOT forthcoming about how many other cases are there but I know of at least one other, and there are cases in the AL side also.  They are going to give her Paxlovid if she tolerates it but IDK if it will make any difference.  Only mild hoarseness so far, main issue is that they are having to sedate her with Ativan to keep her in her room.  

I knew it was a matter of time but still.  Hard to know what to think.  So frurstrating that people were being so cavalier.  I'm willing to try the Paxlovid but then I ask myself why--

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    M1, I'm so sorry. You two sure don't need anything else. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think most people who are getting it now don't seem to be as severe as before. I hope she doesn't come up with other symptoms, and the hoarseness goes away quickly.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I am beginning to believe that there is no way to stay safe. Please keep us posted.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hoping for the best for your wife and all the others. I know you are frustrated.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    M1 wrote:

So frurstrating that people were being so cavalier.  

What does this mean?  It's been 2-1/2 years.  What measures do you want everyone to take?
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi M1

At my husbands MC when Covid hit they treated with Paxlovid after asking me and did not try to keep residents in their rooms. It took a little longer to work it’s way thru but if the people felt OK they could walk around. I will go visit tomorrow for the first time in 12 days. They said it would be too hard to keep people confined because they absolutely could not understand. I was OK with it.

• M1
    Day2nite, transmission rates here are extremely high--30% positivity rate on the tests that are being reported--and no one was enforcing a mask policy in the MC unit or anywhere in the facility even though there was supposedly one in place.  When I went to one local support group meeting there in July, I was the only one of nine attendees who wore a mask.  I think that's pretty cavalier.
  • M1
    Thanks GH, good to hear how other facilities are handling it, I'll ask more tomorrow.  knowing my partner she'll have her door off the hinges before she'll willingly stay put (strongly claustrophobic, among other things).  Heard from a friend that there are at least ten cases on the assisted living side and five at least in the MC unit (24 residents).
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sorry to hear this, I heard now it's not as bad, try telling me that though. I am worried everyplace I have been to they have 1 or 2 in confinement , that's  so hard on the patient who does understand what's going on. 

You have to wonder if the ac isn't dehydrating  folks, which is really the bodies first defense? 

Your both always in my prayers.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I just got over Covid, it was like a bad cold with runny nose, sneezing and non-productive coughing, also low fever.  I isolated myself and wore an N95 mask for a few days if I had to go out.  No PWD will tolerate an N95 mask.  Infectious disease doctors say this Covid is not like the earlier Covid.

Iris

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    M1, I’m sorry to hear that and agree most people are being cavalier. I’m usually the only one in grocery stores wearing a mask. It’s such an easy thing to do and is probably one of the few things we can do to have a decent chance of not getting it. The transmission rates are so high now. And people are getting it more than once. Most seem to be mild cases but a few people I know have been very sick with it for 2 weeks or more. I hope your wife is one who gets through it quickly.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Dear M1, I hope that covid won’t be too serious. It seems that everyone react differently with this virus.

I had it 1 month ago. Tested positive on Tuesday, running on Friday. My son had it in May. He was a little more impacted. My mother (75) was positive but no symptom. My father (82) has been coughing during one week with 2 days of fever. My grand mother (93) also had it in July. She cough a lot and is still tired but she recovers. 

Here also people are cavalier but the virus is also less dangerous. Perhaps it is better to have our LO in MC free to go where they want and to accept that they could get COVID than to lock them in their room during one week. It is what I would choose for my partner. But I also understand that others would decide the other way and it is difficult to find a compromise.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    M1 my husbands MC makes all staff and visitors wear a mask. Just the residents don’t have to.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    M1 I feel like you. When someone is admitted to hospital with influenza A or B they go into isolation and healthcare workers wear N95.  It protected me, I never got the flu from a patient and as far as I know never carried it to another patient.  People in the general public for the most part are not willing to do this and seem to be ok with how ever many people suffer or die as long as they don’t have to be inconvenienced as they see it.
    I hate not feeling well so when community transmission is high like it is now I wear a KF 94 or N95 faithfully.  When I go to visit my friend in facility wear it when transmission is low or high as feel I’m among a vulnerable population and have a responsibility to them as a neighbor.    Often I’m the only one I see with a mask.  They have a few  cases among staff and workers every week.  Will say that hospitals in area doing fine and a few deaths but nothing like last year so far.

Guess we each have to take care of ourself as we see fit, but in your case she is unable to take care of herself.  Understand why this is frustrating you.  Do not understand these facilities not requiring N95 being worn by the workers and visitors.   Why is it being treated any different than the flu?  Think part of it is that so far this is a year round disease, not seasonal.  Many people are not willing to deal with it long term and willing to take the risk of long Covid or death for a little less hassle today.  Most get by, 500 a day aren’t getting by.   Maybe these facilities let the flu run rampant too, not sure.  Hospital would have JACHO issues which runs into lost income if they didn’t have policies in place to curb spread.  Apparently long term facilities don’t have to meet the same standards by whoever accredited them?

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    M1, Sorry you have to deal with Covid on top of all the other challenges. My DW’s MC enforces the the employee/visitor mask policy but I know it is only a matter of time before there is another outbreak there.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dear M1, Please keep us posted to let us us how she is doing. I'm sorry that you have this to worry about on top of everything else. 

While my mom was still living, everyone had to wash their hands as soon as they walked in the house. I kept paper towels in the kitchen and the bathrooms. Very few people in my area are wearing mask. Social distancing has gone out the window. I'm scared to go to the grocery store.

I hope her symptoms stay mild and she gets better very soon! 

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 872
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sorry to hear this M1. I agree, people are too cavalier in the middle of high transmission and the learn to live with it mantra to someone who lost her mother to covid (not to mention all the existing vulnerable people) feels like a slap in the face. But I digress. Couple thoughts. One is to check with your public health department. I don't know about TN but in my state of MN long term care facilities have to report all their cases to the state/county public health and it is public information even if it isn't widely publicized. Not that it would help you much, but if you are wondering how much of an outbreak it is you may be able to find out.

Do you have any friends or family members who have had covid in the last 90 days and would be willing to visit her? At the time my children had just had it so I did go visit my mother during her infectious period, figuring I was already exposed and would have gotten it from the kids if I was going to.  I opened the windows in her room and double masked for extra protection. I made hydration my main goal while I was there and brought ice cream and foods I hoped would be tempting. Due to having work, young children at home etc I wasn't able to spend as much time there as I wish I had. I don't know if it would have made a difference but being there at all made me and my family feel better. Being in the  room and out of  routine is hard on them. Having some of your own eyes and ears in her room may bring you peace of mind. I know how worrisome it is. Paxlovid was not available to us then and has been so effective so hopefully your wife doesn't get very sick. Thinking of you. 

• M1

Thanks MN Chickadee.  They are not letting any visitors into the facility right now.  Fairly sizable outbreak, 10  cases on the AL side and 9 in MC (out of 24 MC residents).  They have been keeping the infected individuals in their rooms--how, I'm not sure.  As of yesterday (5 days into diagnosis) my partner's symptoms were reportedly mild--she was hoarse and congested.  She now reportedly says she doesn't believe covid is real and is telling the staff they've been brainwashed.  This is new--previously she kind of knew what covid was, though she would ask me repeatedly where it came from and what kind of illness it caused.  Doesn't really matter.  

Assuming she recovers uneventfully, I'm not expecting them to be open for any visiting again until the end of this week at the earliest--we'll see.  Rebound/relapse infection after Paxlovid is entirely possible, so i expect it will be longer than that, really.   I'll probably try another in-person visit then, since it's been since the first of July that I've seen her.  But maybe now they'll be more vigilant about enforcing a masking policy.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    M1, I've been thinking of you. Hopefully you will get to have a successful visit soon. It's been way too long, that's for sure. I wouldn't put money on them enforcing a masking policy. Entirely too many people, include those in charge, too easily put this thing aside now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more