Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I think placement could be on the horizon

Well today I was doing a surprise visit to a place that I had seen before, this time its lunch time. Smelled got to see that the common eating area that isn't big enough. And the supper room could seat about 6 max. So some folks ate in the rooms, that's OK though. Plenty of help. Asked about their patient staff ratio, had been a low score, but now it's better. Only bad is the only opening for dw is in a 4 bedroom room.

So on the way home I stop and get an oil filter, my cars got 9 k on the oil. And I got a call from another mcf, woo-hoo, well I won't mention any name but it sounded grand. Well I pull up its beautifully landscaped, I walk into a big foyer with the rocking chairs with all the women doing chitchat. One was bold and asked if I needed help. Very sweet. Spoiler alert that's all the good. I get into memory care and don't see a soul and it's really kinda warm and humid,no joke the wall paper is peeling. The room was very compact stall shower, separate toilet and a chest of draws. I go to see another unit and a lady is looking for her room and can't find it, so the lady doing the tour stops, which was good, bad the lady still could find her room this went on for about 5 minutes, finally she get to the end of the hall and I can see why it's warm and humid, the double doors are open and most everybody is in the little court yard where the cna's take a smoke break, no staff was in the unit.

Another tiny dining area and they tried to corral everybody to lunch, worse than herding cats. Seriously!

I  asked about staff and found about the traveling np that comes once a week to check folks out. Very short staffed I haven't  seen the ratings but the nail in the coffin is 86 miles away from home nearly 2 hours one way and someplaces it's like the dragon tail road, if you dont know that road look it up,oh almost forgot it does not have cell service inside or outside within a half mile. 

But the mcf  accepted dw so I cannot refuse, if I do I have to pay for her stay after the acceptance at the geripsych.

So I call the sw and asked if there wasn't anything closer, nope not unless I can change the budget so up I went, the sw said the would bring in more possibilities, hoping tomorrow for some better news or she might have to come home. 

All the way to that 2nd place I was thinking big, maybe I just have to move out here, really beautiful scenery, the town is an old mining town, and when the saloons left, everything dried out.

Well I am going to be positive for tomorrow. Cause it's showtime no pun.  

You are all the heros out there doing things that would make a man of steal whimper. 

Say a prayer if you believe. 

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Steward, definitely praying for you and your wife! Let us know how it goes! Take care my friend.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I just read an article about the low staffing levels everywhere.  I think it will slowly get better as the Covid levels remain constant  at their current number. I think the relaxed  testing requirements will bring  some  staff back- but then unfortunately  you will have to accept that some staff is neither vaccinated nor tested.  

Let’s look positively at the  second facility- the wallpaper may be peeling because the money is going for care of the residents - to staff, food, utilities.   The air felt humid because the residents were able to go outside into a safe environment - and also to walk inside the building when they wanted.  The staff was pleasant and helpful to residents who couldn’t find their room and to those who couldn’t  cooperate at mealtime.  It’s in your budget and the drive, while long, is beautiful.  The drive will help you enforce limits on your visits ( twice a week for example)   The room is small, which may help some residents feel safer,  large spaces are anxiety inducing for some PWD.  

Keep in mind that she doesn’t have to be  there  forever.  Once you get her placed, then you can start making a list of what you really do need ( versus want). in a facility for her.  You can get her on a waiting list for other places.   

The most important thing is that she is safe and so are you. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Stewart, when my brother passed, he was in an old place that was concrete block, so no fountains or beautiful landscape. It wasn't much to look at, but care was good. That is the most important thing.

Prayers coming that you will find something that works for you. I hope it will be found very soon, as you need it now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more