Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Covid at the geripsych

I was just getting ready to go visit and see the sw,when I got a call, they have positive cases at the unit and my wife is positive with no symptoms. I hung up before asking if they were going to treat her duh. Now I can't get thru. They shut the unit down for 5 to 7 days. They require visitors to be masked and I always sanitize my hands and avoid touching my face. I feel fine but if I get any symptoms I'll get tested. That means my dw isn't going anywhere now till next week. Maybe a door for another placement will open.

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    There are an awful lot of false positives occurring with this regular testing protocol. I wouldn't be concerned unless your wife or you experience symptoms. Take heart. Like you say, maybe another door will open while she's still safely in the unit. Personally, Covid doesn't scare me near as much as living with and trying to take care of a psychotic.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Well I called to check on DW she has a 99.7 fever and they are using Tylenol  and hydration, I guess it was a little early to be hoping she wouldn't get sick. 2 years never got it. I am still good.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more