Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Socializing during Covid

DH was diagnosed with MCI last year, we have pretty well kept to ourselves last 2 + years, DH is 84, very few of his friends are alive nearby if any.

Last week my daughter & family from England came to visit us after 3 years. I noticed a definite improvement in DH while we socialized with them.

During 36 years of marriage, his married daughter with children  who lives nearby has never contacted me or communicated with me  or helped him in any way at all. She knows we don’t drive any more. She doesn’t know about his diagnosis & I don’t intend to tell her, it will only make things worse for me!

How do u socialize during Covid? DH is not tech savvy. I noticed he doesn’t call his friends to chat with like he did before he was diagnosed with MCI.

I am planning to start with a speech therapist for him soon.

Thanks 

Comments

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Sunshine5,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you have to be here. 

Socializing during Covid, some things to consider - do you or your partner have health conditions that might lead to more severe covid?  Are you vaxxed and boosted? What is your risk tolerance in view of these things. (Not asking you to reveal here. Just food for thought.)

I have friends I visit with if we are all well. We distance and mask. 

You might want to do a search for senior centers near you or activities for persons with dementia. Some places might provide transportation. Maybe there is an Alzheimer's Cafe near you.  There might be virtual meetings for caregivers and/or persons with dementia.  There may be transportation for seniors in your area. The Alzheimer's Association has a 24-hour help line, 800-272-3900, that might be able to direct you to entities that have socialization activities in your area.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more