Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Immobility and Bowel Incontinence

I frequent the boards every day to read and get some advice.  But now, I need to ask for help.

My DH is immobile, and at the moment can use a sit to stand device to get up from bed and chair.  He is only out of bed around five hours a day.  

I believe he has become bowel incontinent.  He didn't know last night that he had soiled himself.  And that has continued through today, too.   But he had been a bit constipated, and I had been using Miralax to get him going.  I think that happened last night.  

How do those who also have immobile LOs stay on a decent schedule?  Until last night,  I would return him to his bedroom and ask if he needed to go.  He responded with a yes or no and problem solved.  

Another question:  For those who have been dealing with this, do they become completely unaware and it just happens?   He is not going to be prompted to go in bed.  I don't see that happening.

Thanks,

Judi

Comments

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi Judi,

I can only respond to one of your issues, but am following to get advice myself. Thanks for posting.

My husband is mobile however incontinent of bowel. He has no clue he has soiled himself. Yesterday he was in the bathroom a suspiciously long length of time. I asked him if he needed help. He said no. When he came out the bathroom was surprising clean. What the heck? Then I noticed he had soiled his Depends. He must have sat on the toilet and forgotten to take them down. Most humans would be horrified at the smell and volume of contents, however he was oblivious.

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

My wife can get around but.    Yes they become unaware of soiled Depends or whatever.  DW has had this problem for a hell of a long time probably a year or more. Just like a toddler but won't get any better.

With my DW it is a fight to get her to let me change her and everything else. I'm just finished changing showering and hair washing drying her. Low and behold DW got her shirt on right.  No bra that's a bigger fight to get that on. Even got her soxs on, hell of a time catching her feet to do  it And the worst part is DW hollaring all the time. DW just stood up and pulled her pants up.  Another win for me.

I'm watching with Moonybaby camera & viewer.  It has been a great help. Has to be recharged more often now ,time to get new battery.  When I place her in MC will use to train dog from cleaning off kitchen counter  with shock collar.   NO, I didn't use it on DW the collar.!!!

Remember a toddler learns how to do stuff and our LO's are going just the opposite way.  Yes this disease is one hell of a taker and it works on us also.  It is not so bad at first but gradually every thing goes to hell.  The more we try as this stuff goes on the results aren't good. 

It comes to a point that I'm not giving her the care she needs.  for example if I touch you on your shoulder and get punched I quit doing it.  I try, LO swears at me won't do what I ask.  The toddler learns ,DW is past that point already. I can't give up, DW can't help it and I have to remember that  I hope you all have a good day probably will be bad moments in it but don't let it ruin your day. HOOT

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    You are a resilient man hoot. I haven't crossed that threshold yet but I'm sure it's coming. Thank you for posting your story. It helps me a lot in many ways.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more