Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Spitting mad

I have been working on getting my dh placed. He is still independent with ADLs, but increasingly disorganized. I'm still working, so I'm concerned for him when he's home and when he's out. I found the place I want to put him, and I think they're very good. But trying to get information from the intake person is like pulling teeth! I called her at the beginning of the month and she had an apartment opening up "between the 10th and the 13th." So I said I'll take it, and emailed a few questions. A week later, I called and she was "working on" answering my questions. So I got answers, and we set a date to move, Thursday. She'll send me a packing list.

A different person came out to do the intake yesterday and she was lovely (founder of locally owned facility). She really seemed to "get it." But no contact from the facility beyond the assessment. So I called today asking about the packing list, and they said I could come in and do paperwork (really? already? One day before admission?????). Got through the paperwork and I said, "OK, so the plan is tomorrow morning we do the following and then arrive at lunchtime..." and she says, "no, Friday."

I have rearranged my entire schedule for tomorrow. I hate being completely at the mercy of someone who can just upend my life with a word.

Comments

• Fairyland
    Fairyland Member Posts: 178
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    This happened to me. Once I got the nightmare of installing mom in the AL over, things have gradually improved. Once they are settled a bit, you will not be at the mercy nearly so much.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm sorry.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hope things will go smoothly for you on Friday!
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thanks for reading. He moved today. It went as smoothly as it could have. He's angry and upset, and feels betrayed. I would too if I were in his shoes, and I hope he is able to settle in sooner rather than later.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Well you have him placed and I hope it gets easier for you. I know he still will be on your mind wondering how DH is doing.  This darn* disease is a taker on both LO and caregiver. We may not notice it as much as others around us.  Everything we do mostly at home is for the LO,  there are few rewards maybe a smile a thank you.. Hoot
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I’m glad the move went as well as possible. Since this is Friday I hope you have the day off from work tomorrow so you can get some much needed rest. I hope you will give it a few days for him to get acclimated before you go to see him. Best of luck to you. Take some time for yourself now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more