Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

First day in MC

Elshack
Elshack Member Posts: 240
Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH was transferred to memory Care from the hospital. He had broken his ankle in 2 places over 2 weeks ago. MC is in the bldg next to our independent living apt. I visited him and was happy that the staff was so welcoming etc. He has trouble getting up out of his recliner. He is wearing a boot. He had to use the bathroom and I had to locate an aid to get him out of the recliner and then I took over to get him to the bathroom. ( urination ) Lo and behold less than 2 hrs later I get a phone call that they found him on the floor as he had fallen and he had a BM in his Depends.This is totally disconcerting to me. I told them he has Crohn's disease and often has Bms in his Depends. Talking to some relatives they say the MC has to learn his BM schedule. The Place said they check people every 2 hrs but I still am miffed this happened. 

I know I can no longer take care of him as I have done so for 6 yrs and the last 4 since his brain surgery have been difficult. He is mild mannered. He is 92 and I am 82. For $ 5200.00 a month I was hoping he would not fall and poop his pants after being there only 4 hrs at most! Grr!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oh Elshack I know that's disconcerting.  I hope they didn't transfer him too soon.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry, and I know where you're coming from. I think the two hour check should be a little quicker, considering the circumstances. Unfortunately, they cannot monitor him all the time. I wish there was another way to handle the situation, but I'm not sure there is.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more