Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

This is so off topic, you probably should just skip it

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Three nights ago, I went to a baseball game in Chicago with three of our kids, two sons and a daughter. Whenever I would have the game on TV, my wife would say how she wanted to go to another game. There was no way I could possibly take her. Well, for the first two innings, I did not enjoy it, thinking about my wife. I shed a few tears, but nobody noticed. But as time went on, it got better. Then in the bottom of the 7th inning, the Sox tied the game with the Astros. Then in the 8th, they pushed across which would become the winning run. All in all it was a good evening to spend with the kids. I got to bed at 12:30 AM.

What really made it great is that our daughter (you know the one) got four free tickets, including parking. She is a Cubs fan, and the rest of us were White Sox fans. She wore a White Sox shirt, like the rest of us. And she had a ball. We all enjoyed it. Bittersweet for sure.

Following is the game winning pic taken by one of our sons.

Comments

• Ed1937
  • Ed1937
    And "safe" on a pickoff play.
  • Ed1937
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    If I were your doctor Ed I would prescribe more ball games with family. Stat.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Glad you had a good time Hoot
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    So happy for you, glad you were able to enjoy the game and I bet your wife would be happy you were with some of your sons and your daughter! Just think how happy your kids were to see you having fun.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Ed,

That was a great story and it made my day!  I'm glad you went to the game.  Good photos.

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I totally understand! DH was the baseball person in our family -- played it constantly as a kid, in high school, had a baseball college scholarship, was the Varsity baseball coach after. We had gone to many Dodger games. When he could no longer go, my son and his wife invited me to go with them and it was hard, just like you. But I'll always cherish the one game I attended with them, the Vin Sculley Night when he retired. It was wonderful!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Baseball is never off topic in my book Ed.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Chicago born Sox fan here!
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Certainly not OT; wonderful night with the kids, poignant at times thinking of your wife,  I think she would be delighted that you were out with the kids.  Wonderful memory made together, Ed.

Those are great photos; thank you for sharing, it is lovely.

J.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, I’m glad you had such a great night at the ball park with you children, you deserve it!
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    That's great you had such a nice outing with the kids.  Good for you!!!  We all have to remember to take care of ourselves.  I think you did yourself a world of good going to that game...not only for yourself but the kids too.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed you know that pretty much everything is on topic here!! And this certainly was on topic. Thank you for sharing it. What a wonderful family you have. You are still making memories.

Big hug

eagle

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Ed, I'm happy you went to the game! This is on topic in my book. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more