Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I am a mess

Elshack
Elshack Member Posts: 240
Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH after breaking his ankle was in the hospital for 2 weeks and 2 days. Last Wed. I moved him to Memory Care in the bldg next to our independent living apt. 4 hrs after he was transferred from the hospital he fell trying to get out of his recliner trying to get to the bathroom. 

Now I got a call at 7:45 am that he fell out of the single bed and they took him to the hospital across the street and he had to have 2 stitches. He is back in memory care but they are thinking he may have to be in a larger bed. He is used to his queen size bed so I am hoping they can move ours into his room. He has a large room. I noticed yesterday that his LEFT ankle is swollen as is that foot. I fear he may have broken that ankle when he fell last Wed. I am asking them to take an xray of that ankle. This is a mess and he's only been there since Wed and fallen 2x and a trip to the ER.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Elshack, I'm sorry your DH has had such a hard time. Hopefully he doesn't have a broken ankle, or even a sprained ankle. If that queen size bed won't work for whatever reason, maybe you could get a full size bed for him.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Your poor husband. I hope his other ankle isn't broken. I've noticed that so many of the residents where my DH is try to get up when they shouldn't, and several end up with nice bruises. It's so hard when they just can't remember that their bodies don't work like they used to.
  • Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 240
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

The nurse in Memory Care checked his ankle and said today there was no sign of swelling so no need to take an xray. They are going to transfer DH's queen size bed to memory Care room. Thankfully I got a large room for him which is supposed to be for 2 people but they let me have it for the price of one person. $ 5200.00 a month is expensive but I think I can cover it for 2 yrs. I am praying he does not live that long. As you know he is 92 and I am 82 and for 4 years I have been taking care of him 24/7.

Hospice came out a few weeks ago to assess him. He didn't qualify then but I think he will now so that means they will check on him in memory care in addition to the memory care staff.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Elshack, I am sorry all of this is happening to you both. It's all so much so fast. Please let us know if he qualifies for hospice now. I hope he does. It would be such a blessing for you if he had hospice.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more