Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Brain Paralysis

Lately I get chair locked where I just can't get started. I stall on just about every activity I need to do. Once I am underway I am fine, getting out of the chair is the challenge. In golf if you have too many thoughts before you swing the club you will probably stiffen up and make a mistake. This is called paralysis by analysis. You basically get in your own way mentally. I think that is what is causing this. Half my brain knows it has a full schedule of activity that has to get done and the other half of my brain is on 24 hr alert status for my wife. It is trying to go 2 directions at once stalling in the chair again. There is no stalling in an emergency situation, if it isn't an emergency well it's just harder finding the motivation to leap out of the chair.  Zoning out is part of my daily activities. Not sleeping, but just processing information. Running scenarios and responses through my head. Where am I ? What am I doing ? Am I on schedule ? Have I missed anything ? If all systems are go and all the lights are green we can do a chair launch and check off the next item on the never ending list. Or escape to exercise or meditation which I am doing more and more of whenever and wherever I can which contributes to the chair lock post work out zoning that occurs. Anyway I am staring off into space a lot more lately.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bill, I know what you're talking about. I couldn't get anything done either. After my wife passed, it was still the same, but it is finally getting a little better after 2 months. It's just slowly coming back to where I should be. Still have a ways to go, but it's getting better.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I understand too.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    That 24-hour high alert status, and mental run-through of scenarios involving a mobile PWD in the house, can have seriously bad effects on your (our) physical health. Been there, done that…
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary

So glad to know I'm not alone in doing that. My inertia addiction has become computer solitaire and mahjong.

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

I don't tend to get bogged down overthinking things anymore. Mostly it's just plain old mental and physical fatigue - doing the same things over and over - running on the hamster wheel that is my life and going nowhere. Such a pointless existence.

Burned match | Stock image | Colourbox

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Great thoughts here. The 24 hours on call, the endless list of tasks that need to be done. The endless lists I keep to breakdown the tasks, so I actually accomplish something each day. Then I'll get some motivation and go full tilt for a few days. then inertia sets in again.
  • rlpete
    rlpete Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Bill, I understand this very well. I have a long list of things I need to do as I'm good at making the list but not getting it done. Lately it just seems like it is just dementia everyday, all day. I'm on that alert status constantly for my wife as well. It has been 4+ years and I know many here have been going much longer but I wish for one completely carefree day when I'm not on alert and constantly thinking about the what-will-be's and the what-if's. A little respite helps but it doesn't clear the mind. I'm tired.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more