Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Football Season

saltom
saltom Member Posts: 126
100 Comments First Anniversary
DH is an avid football fan and has always followed college and pro football games on TV.  I should have realized he was declining last year when he had trouble remember the names of the  teams.  So far this year he's interested in the pre season games and enjoys watching them.  Football season has always been very expensive in our house. The TV went on and I went shopping. Maybe we'll  save some money this year. I'm not comfortable leaving him alone for a whole game.  I feel like the parent who uses the TV as a baby sitter. DH is very comfortable glued to the TV during a game.  He's happy; I'm happy! Whatever works!

Comments

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hello Saltom you should record a few games in case you need some time to yourself in the off season.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I agree that's an excellent idea.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Yes, agree with Bill to record some games. My DH watches football, hockey, and tennis. He's to the point he can watch the same game 2 hours later and not realize it's not a new one. He sometimes forgets the rules of the game and asks why they're doing something or says they're cheating. He's really good at making up stories about the different players that I have no idea where they come from and I just play along. Right now it's the Tennis Channel all day long, which although I like tennis I'll sure be glad when football and hockey season starts. This year I'll keep the recorded games to watch in the summer too,
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Agree with the recording.   One of the other Members used to record games and she could play them all year long for her LOs pleasure as he forgot he had already seen the game, so it was all new to him each time and it was a big plus for him.

J.

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

For the longest time, sports was one thing DH could watch on TV relatively easily. He didn’t remember much at all about the teams, or players, etc., but he enjoyed the action of the moment. We still have cable, so there was always something on some channel.

.he thought everything was “live”, which was OK. And occasionally he’d ask why they were playing the Super Bowl in summer, or golfing in a hurricane (we were having hurricane, and seeing an old golf match)…sadly that didn’t last long.

• saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions to record some games.  I'll do that.  Maybe DH can watch some with the caregiver and I can still go shopping.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Recording the games really dose work! Last year I recorded all the football games and dh’s has watched them so many times that I can’t wait for “new games “! 

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Not football, but I do have 48 recordings of MASH for my wife.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more