Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need advise on bedding products

Hi gang.

I am apparently entering into the nighttime incontinence phase.

Does anyone have advice on mattress protectors, mattress pads, wetness protection, and etc.?  I do not see nighttime Depends as an immediate answer, but surely that will come soon enough.  This is a queen bed we share, and I don't want noisy, or uncomfortable protectors.

Daily laundry of bedding is not a problem for me.  Still have enough energy to do the work, and our laundry facility is quite good.

There are just so many choices....it's overwhelming.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Good morning. I used parentgiving.com for incontinence briefs, and I was very impressed with the company. They have a lot of different products, and you can call to talk with someone who can suggest things for you. If you are looking for something like depends, they have several different brands which are much better, and you can order samples if you like. I would recommend getting the samples of different products to see which works better for you. I could tell you what worked best for us, but that might not work best for you. 

Parentgiving ships fast, and if you have a problem with their product, they will work with you. Look over the site to see what they have.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Robert, it’s not only people with dementia that use incontinence products. Walk into most pharmacies and you’ll see whole isles full of products. Even grocery stores usually have large selections. For nights we use men’s protection plus pull-up underwear. There are probably women’s versions but they look like they would work fine for women as well. They tear off at the seams on each side when wet, so you don’t have to pull them down. We add a women’s Always #6 absorbency pad inside the Depends. It doesn’t always contain everything, but catches most. He wears a pair of boxer briefs over those. I generally buy these supplies in large quantities from Amazon or Costco

We have a regular waterproof patters pad directly over the mattress and foam pad. We’ve had it a long time and I don’t recall the brand. On top of the bedsheet we use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076X1LF6R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  The surface is soft, not crunchy. Machine washable and dryable. I have about 5 of these so I’m not constantly washing. It will get all the moisture 95% of the time. On top of that we use a large puppy pee pad 26 x 30 inches that sits under his but. We get the Amazon brand in boxes of 100. They’re pretty soft and flexible and are usually the thing that catches the leaks if there are any. I have about 5 of the large fabric pads. My DH sleeps on his back and moves very little, so these products work well. 

We use these chair pads on the furniture and in the car. They work perfectly. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08511GKDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We haven’t tested an extensive amount of these types of products, but these work well for us and are relatively inexpensive. If you find some better ones, please post them here. Once you find products that work, the whole process is pretty seamless.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

1.  zip up 6 sided waterproof mattress protecter

2. waterproof baby crib pads....I cut them inn 1/2 or get the kind used by the hospital

3. these pads can be use on chairs etc.

4. the more protectors you have  the less often you need to do laundry

• Ed1937
    I just looked at the first link by Maggie Mae. We used one similar, but not the same brand. Ours was 34" X 52", and I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. The link she provided shows one 44" X 52". They are definitely worth the money. But get more than one, for sure.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Robert. I use the same pads as Maggie gave the link to. I like the larger pads because my husband is a very restless sleeper, all over the bed, so the larger ones work well for that. I also use the ones I got from Parentgiving. The site that Ed mentioned. Both work great, are comfortable and laundry well.  

Best of luck to you. 

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Frankly the sooner you move to disposables the better off you'll be. Even with all the pads and the like when DW wet the bed in the middle of the night the top sheet and the pad had to be changed right then. Changing a wet bed in the middle of the night not only sucks, but will be disruptive to your wife.

My DW initially recognized the disposables as "things a baby would wear", but relented on wearing them when I told her we were out of regular clean underwear. After a short while she just accepted them as the norm, probably due to her progression of dementia as much as the routine of them. 

• Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Robert.   I also use the pad like Maggie suggested, but I put down a layer of four of them.  Then in the middle of the night, I can change my DH, pull off the pad, and cover him back up.  A clean pad would be underneath, and the laundry could wait until morning.  I don't pull the top sheet at night since it rarely is soiled.  But I do check and change in the morning.  

I also use shirts that snap in the back from Buck and Buck (online) and can change them quickly.  

The whole process for me probably takes about fifteen minutes, but that is with a lot of practice.

• Ed1937
    If it should come to the point where you have to get up during the night to change bedding, let us know. I used a system called "layering" where I could have a dry/clean bed within a minute or two after getting my wife out of bed so I could work on it. It is simple to set up. Wet bedding is put out of the way to wash in the morning.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    My best tip is same as Mayor Ed's- be sure you have at least 2 layers of linens on top of whatever else you use so that you can quickly uncover a wet bed overnight as needed.

You need a zippered waterproof cover to start; the top won't be enough as urine can drip down the sides. Something like this.

Amazon.com: Full (6-8 in. Deep) SureGuard Mattress Encasement - 100% Waterproof, Bed Bug Proof, Hypoallergenic - Premium Zippered Six-Sided Cover : Home & Kitchen

You can put a softer tufted waterproof protector on top of that and perhaps a rubberized flannel on top of that-- you can buy crib protectors or buy-the-yard at a big fabric store. 

Buy CareFor Flannel/Rubber Waterproof Sheeting at Medical Monks!

You could also use disposable chux pads just under where she sleeps but these tend to get all wrinkled up.

HB
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    We "layered" here too.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Here’s a link for the pee pads that we put on top of the large fabric pads I mentioned. They do wrinkle if the person moves around a lot or gets up during the night several times, but they can be easily smoothed out. We buy them in boxes of 100. They’re a fraction of the cost of most of the “medical supply” brands. They work at least 80% of the time. They fold up compact enough that I can throw them in the Dekor Classic diaper pail when they get wet. I throw the big fabric pads in the bathtub when wet and take them downstairs in the morning or when I let the dog out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SB89F9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

My DH usually gets up and goes into the bathroom around 4 or 5:00 and uses the toilet while I change the Depends underwear if necessary and any pads on the bed that need changing. The whole process has become routine and takes only a few minutes.

• LizG55
    LizG55 Member Posts: 151
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Hi Robert and all... I lost my long post of what I ordered from Amazon last night. Will try tomorrow to post it... but I like the idea of layering, I think that's essential and having things ready for the middle of the night to do a quick change and clean up.  I try to go disposable when possible... Like the Link Ed wrote in, I don't know why I can't copy and paste the links from Amazon and have to type them out anyone know? 

I have to digest after a very busy morning these great suggestions from everyone.  I try to keep disposable because of  more work for me in washing and so on. 

If someone could tell me why the copy and paste never works for me on this site.. I am on my laptop please let me know...

We had a BM accident late last night.. .I have ordered some things I'd like to post rather than type out.... 

Layering is the way to go... more on that process if possible... thank you..

• LizG55
    Ed1937 wrote:

Good morning. I used parentgiving.com for incontinence briefs, and I was very impressed with the company. 

Thank you going to check that out... 

• LizG55
    ImMaggieMae wrote:

We have a regular waterproof patters pad directly over the mattress and foam pad. We’ve had it a long time and I don’t recall the brand. On top of the bedsheet we use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076X1LF6R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

We use these chair pads on the furniture and in the car. They work perfectly. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08511GKDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love that large  bedpad.. thank you

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney