Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH has Covid

Paris20
Paris20 Member Posts: 502
Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My husband, who had a paralyzing stroke on top of his 2015 Alzheimer’s diagnosis, now has Covid. My children and one of my grandchildren visited Monday and Tuesday at his care facility. I fed him and everyone kissed and hugged him. I got the phone call yesterday afternoon. A couple of other patients have it. Staff have tested negative but dozens of people come in and out all the time.

We are all fully vaccinated and my older daughter and granddaughter had Covid last month so they are OK. However my younger daughter is on meds for an autoimmune disease and I have asthma, as well as senior citizen status. All we can do is open the windows and wear masks, test, wait, and repeat.

Our PCP had nothing to add. DH cannot receive certain Covid treatments because of meds he is taking. She asked me what I want for him and I said «Care and comfort.» Her parting words were not reassuring. She said, « He won’t die from this.» Thanks

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    I'm so sorry.  You have been through so much and now a new worry.  Praying your DH recovers and you and your daughter don't come down with it.  Sending hugs.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,724
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

In the same boat Paris.  We're at day 10, and I got a call yesterday that my partner sounded worse, they are running some labs.  Trying to figure out what I will do if they think she needs to be hospitalized.  I don't want to, but I don't know what they can do in MC.

I don't know why your doc is so sure he won't die.  Bad to make predictions, either way.  Will be thinking of you.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Yesterday morning I tested positive for Covid. So far my asthma and coughing are just a little bit worse but I’ve had those symptoms all my life. So, I will be getting a PCR test tomorrow to be certain of my home test results. My younger daughter tested negative this morning. My older daughter and my granddaughter had Covid last month so they’ll probably be OK. We are all fully vaccinated. DH too. 

I spoke to the director and the head nurse of my husband’s facility. I was angry that they had not informed us of their four Covid cases (out of seven residents) and let us have such close contact with my husband, who became Covid case number five later in the day we visited. They told me that CDC guidelines have changed. My response to that comment was common sense should have created a protocol that could protect residents and visitors too.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Paris, I'm sorry. I could go on a rant, but it would do no good.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

The director and head nurse said that the CDC guidelines have changed and it’s no longer necessary to inform visitors that more than half of the residents of the facility are Covid positive? That’s right up there with the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. Ok, rant over.

Paris, please rest and take care of yourself. If the PCR test is positive are you a candidate for one of the Covid treatments?

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm so surprised they didn't let you know. Covid went through where DH is several weeks ago. I got several email updates on how many cases they had in the facility, and phone calls each day when there were more positives in DH's unit.

There were no restrictions on visitation, but signs were up informing visitors. Somehow DH and I both escaped it. 2/3 of the residents in his unit were positive. All but one seemed to have a super mild case.

I hope your symptoms and DH's remain mild.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more