Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does anyone have experience with a patch for slowing progression?(1)

We saw the neurologist yesterday for followup.  He prescribed a patch to help slow progression.  I have not picked it up yet.  I could not get what I felt were good answers from this dr.  What med is it?  Are there side effects to watch for?  Etc.  He just kept saying-" we do what we gotta do".  Has anyone else been given a patch?  Would you shed some light on it for me, please?

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 456
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I'm sorry you're having this problem with your neurologist. A medicine should never be prescribed without information about why it's being given, what to expect and possible side effects. Sometimes doctors pass this responsibility to their nurses. If a nurse sees you before/after the doctor, ask them any questions you have. Look for a nametag with credentials before asking questions. You can't expect information about meds from a tech who takes vitals signs.

Doctor visits can be stressful/overwhelming. It's easy to leave the office with unanswered questions. Some offices have patient portals online that make communication easier.

If you can't get information from your doctor, talk to a pharmacist. They are a resource that's also under utilized. One again, make sure you're talking to an actual pharmacist

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I don't know much about medications, but the exelon patch is something that is commonly used. If this is what it is, here is a link to drugs.com, which has a lot of information on different medications, including side effects. This link is specific to exelon patch. https://www.drugs.com/search.php?searchterm=exelon+patch  
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

My mom was on this patch ( rivastegmine). For a little over a year.  Then her Medicare part D decided not to cover it.   She’s since been switched to a generic Aricept tablet.  The doctors are not sure if any of them help.  It’s like a 1/3 chance- help, don’t help, or the side effects make them stop taking them.  

Mom didn’t seem to have any side affects - her main issue was the patch kept coming off and sticking to her clothing 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Berryette
    Berryette Member Posts: 47
    I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give suggestions.  DH has tried 2 different meds- pill form and had reactions to both.  So I am leery of trying another.  He is happy as a clam.  Sleeps, eats, sits outside, and give the cats and dogs a zillion treats each day.  (the fact he has no memory has really been a good thing for them).  I will talk with the pharmacist when I pick the patch up.  Then look at the link you gave me Ed.  But I'm feeling like it's best to just leave well enough alone.  Thanks again.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Berryette, doctors should always explain any medications they prescribe. What is the name of it? You could ask the pharmacist and/or look it up on the Internet.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband had side effects from both of the pills that were prescribed to him for the dementia. He then was prescribed a patch. No side effects, but also nothing positive that we noticed. And it ran something like $300 a month out of our pocket. After about 4 months we stopped it.

His doctor said what Quilting said - about 1/3 show improvement, 1/3 show no benefit, 1/3 get worse. To me that seems like about the same result you'd see from giving a tic tac.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My understanding is that no drugs actually slows progression. The drugs may help the person function better while the damage is being done. My husband has been on aricept and namenda since 2016 with no bad side effects. I have no idea if they are working because he is steadily getting worse but on the chance they are still helping he is continuing to take them.
  • Berryette
    Berryette Member Posts: 47
    ImMaggieMae-  We live in a small town and DH would not go to a doc if we had to travel far.  I tried asking questions.  Just got frustrated.  He just said it is a patch- but did not/would not say the medicine name.  Then he acted like I was a negative nellie when asking about side effects.  I truly do not see that we will go back again.  But I did pick up the patch.  It is rivastegmine (sp).  The pharmacist was nice.  Suggested we try it since it released over 24hrs maybe he wont have the side effects as with the pills.  I'm honestly nervous about this tho.  If anything goes wrong, DH thinks I am trying to poison him and things have been on an even keel lately.  But like Cecil J said- I feel guilty for not trying it.  I don't think I would want to take it if I was the one with dementia.  Thanks again for listening!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Berryette wrote:
    It is rivastegmine (sp). 

That's the generic for exelon.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    My husband has been on the Exelon patch since he was diagnosed in 2015. He has never had any side effects but now that is is far along in the disease, he will remove it sometimes. To be  honest, I am not sure why I am still using it (and is expensive) but afraid to stop! Maybe it is helping somewhat. I know in the beginning, it was worth it.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

No medication stops the progression of this disease ,  What they do for a short period of time is help with symptoms

The effect of rivastigmine may lessen as the disease process advances and fewer cholinergic neurons remain functionally intact. There is no evidence that rivastigmine alters the course of the underlying dementing process.

https://www.drugs.com/pro/exelon-patch.html

https://www.drugs.com/pro/exelon-patch.html

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living