Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Driving(9)

My DH has not driven for three years. Today I could not drive because of a surgical procedure and he said he had a license and could drive. Looking for a kind, thoughtful response.

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

A dementia patient who has not driven in 3 years, if due to the disease, most likely should not drive even if accompanied by someone.

Putting you, himself and the general public at risk is not advised.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    II don't say this to offen but I agree.
  • JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 456
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    I think Scruffydog is looking for a way to gently tell their LO they can't drive
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

"Let's take advantage of the special offer from Uber/Lyft/Taxi... to take us to ___"

"I think we deserve to be chauffeured around. I've always wanted to know how it feels to be chauffeured (or fill in with your own reason)."

"Let's pretend we're on vacation and take a taxi so we don't have to deal with the driving (and all that traffic)."

"Gas is so expensive these days; it's probably cheaper to use Uber/Lyft/Taxi."

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,724
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ditto here, first thing I thought of was some fiblet about having an Uber coupon that expires soon and that you wanted to use....
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Scruffydog, welcome to the forum. Sorry you need it. Nobody here will tell you it's okay for him to drive. When you consider the risks vs. the benefits, I'm sure you'll agree.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more