Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Today's my birthday

And it has been a good day.

When I think back to where I was a year ago, it seems more like 10 years have passed. I was trying to balance home life with DH's paranoia, peeing all over the house and not sleeping and the start of a new school year that was crazy busy. I look back and wonder how I did it. 

DH was placed 5 1/2 months ago. School started back up about 3 weeks ago, so I'm busy teaching. But now I have time to talk to co-workers at school, and I have time to prepare for the school day both at school and at home. I am getting a full night's sleep. I'm not getting to work 5 minutes late every day and feeling like I'm in a rush and always behind. Things are kind-of getting done at home, but I don't feel bad about what's not done.

I still visit DH every other day, and it breaks my heart to see how much he's declined. I wrote several weeks ago that he wasn't walking, but after about 5 days he got up again and is back to his normal standing and shuffling. So, back to normal. 

I've started to take care of me, too. The last time I had my bloodwork done early this summer, it came back with some high numbers that weren't high before. Totally related to poor diet in the last year with stress eating, and just stress in general. Since then I've lost 15 pounds and changed my diet. I've also decided to get my teeth straightened with invisaliners (Clear plastic braces). I had braces as a teen, but my teeth had shifted over time and I had become self-conscious over my bottom teeth - especially because my little ones at school would sometimes comment on them. Kids just don't know what not to say. Stupid braces help me with my not snacking. 

It's still really rough at times, and it's lonely at home. But the good days are coming more often. 

Thanks to all of you for being here when I needed you over the last several years.

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Happy Birthday! It sounds like you have normalcy and balance in your life while at the same time your husband is being well cared for. You have a lot of accomplishments to be proud of is such a short time. I hope this next year is good to you.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Happy Birthday, Glad you are adjusting to your new schedule and still have time to visit your DH.   Things should get a little easier as time goes on.  Hope you have many more. Hoot
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

First and foremost, Josie, happy birthday. I have been in your shoes (or maybe it’s the other way around) and I know where of you speak. I am no longer teaching; at 75, I am well into retirement. I completely understand all the small things that you are now able to do that you couldn’t do a year ago and that many people take for granted. Right now I am at the shore. I am alone, but I’m not lonely. My neighbor came by today and we chatted on the porch; I didn’t have to jump up every so many minutes to check on DH or tend to him. Tomorrow, I am going into town for lunch with another neighbor, her sister and her mom. They have asked me to join them on countless occasions over the years, but it just wasn’t feasible.

DH will be in placement one year in November. The time has flown; the time has dragged.  I visit him once a week, I love him with all my heart, I miss him. But I have moved on and he has moved on, for better or for worse. May the good days come more and more often for you, and for me, and for all of us. I think about you often. 

• Battlebuddie
    Battlebuddie Member Posts: 25
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments

What a great report! I so admire the folks here who are trying to do this and work too. It seems like it would be so so hard. 

My daughter is a teacher , so I know how much time is spent after hours doing prep. I’m so glad for you that you have a little bit more undistracted time to do all that . 

I hope you have a really good year!  

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Happy Birthday! So glad to hear you're able to have some sort of normal yourself. I look forward to the day I can be there, too.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Happy Birthday.  Your post has given me some hope and made the day better.  Hope you get to do some special thing for yourself for your birthday.
  • John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

Happy Birthday!

You are a strong woman.

Have a great school year!

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy birthday! I hope you did something special for yourself! So very happy for you that you can have a life again. Your students will be happy to have their special teacher back. Keep taking care of yourself and I’m glad your husband is adjusting and is well taken care of. Hope you have many more birthdays to come.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Birthday.  

I’m glad your stress level is down and you are taking better care of yourself.  Don’t worry about getting things done at home.  IIRC, you live in Indiana.  Plenty of time this winter to do things inside the house.  

I don’t know how you did  the last year or two.  As you know, I retired Dec. 2020 partly due  to my parents, and they were in assisted living at the time,  I can’t imagine trying to caregive in my own home and work too. However I think we all put  one foot in front of the other until we can’t. 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Balloons!  Confetti!  Whistles!  Crepe paper streamers!  Cake! Ice Cream! 

Happy, happy birthday wishes being sent your way.

You are giving yourself a lovely gift by being able to do things for your own self again and that is wonderful.  I thank your for your update, it is really great to read.  You have gone such a long way on this journey and continue to be a caring and loving advocate; what a blessing you have been and are.

Now; for the birthday champagne . . .

J.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you all for the birthday greetings!

Beachfan - We really are in the same shoes. I've thought that before.

I remember about a year after diagnosis wondering how this would ever end. It was impossible to look to the future and see beyond placement. I am still having a problem looking ahead. Just a day at the time right now. 

I feel that I had to keep working through the caregiving, because I need insurance and an income once my caregiving time was through. Heck, I needed an income while caregiving, too! Our son recently turned 22 and has been in college - he also needed insurance. Today I turned 55 - I have at least 10 more years of work. I'm thankful that I managed to keep my job, because I really like where I work and the people I work with. And the little kids. They're the best part of the day.

I'm also reconnecting with friends that I lost touch with over the last few years. It's nice to know they're still there. I thought I was alone, but as I recover I realize that it was probably me who let those connections go because I just didn't have time. They're still around for me now that I have time.

It's not all perfect, but there's hope now. It's so hard to see DH at times, and it seems so unfair that dementia has taken him so young. I go through big ups and downs, and days when I wonder how I'll spend the rest of my life all by myself. This isn't at all what I planned. Today's just an up day. 

Quilting - yep, I'll have plenty of indoor time before long. It's a great state to live in - we live outside as long as we can until we get sick of being outside, then we live inside until we go crazy from inside, only to repeat it all again! I'm going to have to switch out the lawn mowers for the snow blower before long. And I'll put down my chainsaw and get out my sewing machine. I still haven't quilted a thing in the last few years, but I've got a collection of fabric and plenty of ideas!

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy birthday Josie from one Virgo to another.

It sounds like you have done really great things for yourself. I am glad you can see your husband, love him and go home to your own life. I wish you a great year ahead.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Josey- I live in central Illinois.  So I am right there with you on the outdoor/indoor repeat cycle. I’m looking forward to seeing your next quilting project. I’m making  my first baby quilt right now.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Whoopee!! Happy Birthday. I'm glad you're getting back to normal. A year ago, you probably didn't think that was possible. Great post!
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig happy Birthday. I had to sign back in just to say that. It is great that you have moved forward and teachers are so needed. Thanks for what you do!
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Happy Birthday, Josey. I hope you had a wonderful day and that the year ahead is everything you want it to be. And glad to hear you’re caring for yourself and taking care of the things you’ve had to put off.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Happy Birthday, Josey! And I hope you have a good school year!
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Happy birthday, Josey. So glad this birthday is a great one. I am a retired teacher and cannot imagine how stressed you were caring for your dh AND teaching at the same time. Your dh was so  young when diagnosed and that makes everything so hard. So happy you are taking care of yourself! 

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy Birthday Josey!
  • Berryette
    Berryette Member Posts: 47
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Happy birthday, Josey.  ( A little late).  The children are lucky to have you as their teacher!
  • nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Happy BirthdayJosey! Birthdays should always be special and yours is.

I wish you many wonderful, memorable days.  

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Happy Birthday! Enjoy.

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Happy Birthday May the struggles of life  Pass you by as you celebrate your special Day.     You deserve it. God’s Blessings  to You  Richard   

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! Josey, sorry I missed seeing your post yesterday. My wife was a teacher and I have a special place in my heart for the teachers. Hope you have a wonderful school year.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Josey, I am late but sincerely wish you had a happy birthday. My is on the 28th. I was with my parents and my children have been adorable.it is comforting.
  • Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Happy Birthday. Enjoy your special day.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more