Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nothing slows progression

2»

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Lane Simonian wrote:

But if you are able to remove the tumor, the headaches may go away, Crushed.  There are likely three main causes of memory loss in Alzheimer's disease: declining levels of acetylcholine, the lack of regeneration of neurons, and the death of neurons.  If you can increase acetylcholine levels, regenerate neurons, and reduce the death of neurons you can partially offset memory loss.

The evidence for this is in mice, so not perfect by any means:

The study, to be published August 19 [2022] in the Journal of Experimental Medicine, shows that new neurons can incorporate into the neural circuits that store memories and restore their normal function, suggesting that boosting neuron production could be a viable strategy to treat AD patients.

What would be treated is a SYMPTOM  loss  of memory capability
    Nothing in the article attacks the underlying pathology

Lane the article simply does not support your claims

it says  

Alzheimers disease (AD) is characterized by progressive loss of
    memory and cognitive function. The mechanism underlying
    memory loss is largely unknown

So the article does not support your extended claims of CAUSATION

By scavenging peroxynitrite, you partially reverse the nitration of the phosphatidyinositol 3-kinase (thus partially restoring neurogenesis) and reduce neuronal cell death caused by peroxynitrite.  That is treating the cause of the disease. 

Peroxynitrite induces inactivation of the Akt pathway. Furthermore, overexpression of constitutively active Akt inhibits both peroxynitrite-induced Bax translocation and cell death.

except this not in the article

What the article says is that we can regrow certain neurons but even if if Successful it is a palliative treatment  that in no way stops the cell death process. 

It is perhaps most equivalent to a blood transfusion

• Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    CStrope wrote:

This past Tuesday I took DH for his yearly check-in.  Prior to the appointment, I sent the dr. information about the changes I've seen over the past year, and my most recent concerns.  I felt like I was being proactive and laid out the information in a very clear format. One of the areas I addressed was these 2 medications, and also a request that he consider increasing the anti-depressant.  The dr. thanked me for the information but did not reference any of the points I made. Instead of taking him off of the medications, he increased the Aricept, and switched it from night to morning.

I left the appointment feeling very unheard, and very frustrated.  

Hi, CStrope,

I was quite interested in your post because my SO has an appointment with her neurologist tomorrow.  I am hoping that her doctor is more receptive when I relate some of my observations from living with my SO 24/7. I am sorry for you that your DH's neurologist feels that what he learns during a twenty-minute appointment makes it unnecessary to consider the input from a full-time caregiver.

• AZGuy
    AZGuy Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments First Anniversary

As the caregiver to my DW, there is nothing more I would love to find than the magic cure for Alzheimers. Her neurologist tries to get it through my thick head that there are no cures for moderate Alzheimers (in a kind way). I'm usually bugging her about this or that study or medication.

Watching my DW fade is very hard because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. So, if my DW's neurologist says this or that medication will help slow the progression of the illness, then let's do it; that's all we have.

I'm grasping at straws trying to keep my wife with me as long as I can. Most studies and medications are directed toward early onset of Dementia. After that, the best I can hope for, for now, is to slow it down.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    AZGuy wrote:

As the caregiver to my DW, there is nothing more I would love to find than the magic cure for Alzheimers. Her neurologist tries to get it through my thick head that there are no cures for moderate Alzheimers (in a kind way). I'm usually bugging her about this or that study or medication.Watching my DW fade is very hard because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. So, if my DW's neurologist says this or that medication will help slow the progression of the illness, then let's do it; that's all we have.I'm grasping at straws trying to keep my wife with me as long as I can. Most studies and medications are directed toward early onset of Dementia. After that, the best I can hope for, for now, is to slow it down.

I'm in the end stages of the same painful ride You have to be careful with the word "Progression"

there is a fundamental difference between Alzheimer's DISEASE and Alzheimer's   SYMPTOMS   It is entirely possible to have improvement in Alzheimer's symptoms without affecting the progression of the underlying disease. 

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    We are obtaining some good English lessons with this thread.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more