Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Medications and Dementia UCSF

Hi all,

I came across this comprehensive discussion about medications prescribed for dementia patients.  It seems like a good basis for discussions with prescribing docs, since it includes meds to try for specific symptoms, and those to avoid for some conditions.

https://memory.ucsf.edu/treatments-stays/medications-dementia#

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Mary, thank you! That kind of information is something all caregivers should have.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    The world of medications for PWDs is so confusing, no pun intended. The very symptom the drug is treating for is also listed as a potential side effect...oxymoron?? It's basically trial and error. Our doctor wants to add memantine/Namenda to the mix of DH's meds, but according to UCSF's site it is not recommended for FTD. Go figure. What to do?!
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Wow, very useful!  I wish I had this four years ago to help guide me - but I can still use it now.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Not to mention there is an enormous amount of Garbage promoted on the web

Congressman’s Wife Died After Taking Herbal Remedy Marketed for Diabetes and Weight Loss

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The wife of a Northern California congressman died late last year after ingesting a plant that is generally considered safe and is used as an herbal remedy for a variety of ailments, including diabetes, obesity, and high cholesterol, KHN has learned.Lori McClintock, the wife of U.S. Rep. Tom McClintock, died from dehydration due to gastroenteritis — an inflammation of the stomach and intestines — that was caused by “adverse effects of white mulberry leaf ingestion,” according to a report from the Sacramento County coroner that is dated March 10 but was not immediately released to the public. KHN obtained that report — in addition to the autopsy report and an amended death certificate containing an updated cause of death — in July.

https://khn.org/news/article/tom-lori-mcclintock-death-herbal-remedy-diabetes-weight-loss-white-mulberry/

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Excellent article!!  It has some good links to FTD.  Thanks for posting it.  My husband has FTD.  This article and several others I've read mention NOT to give Namenda.  I was so disappointed when my husband's neuro prescribed it.  Fortunately, I got a "gut check" and researched it before giving it to him.  Most of the articles stated that it may increase aggression.  Just what I don't need.

• RandiM
    RandiM Member Posts: 4
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you, this is helpful and timely. My husband started exhibiting aggressive behaviors and I was reluctant to start him on Seroquel because of the label of “antipsychotic”.  I tried to manage triggers but it became unmanageable so started him on Seroquel.  It has really helped calm him with no noticeable side effects.  He had an episode yesterday at his adult daycare and was kicked out.  staff recommended seeing doc to adjust his meds.  He also takes Paxil for anxiety.  This article helps understand different symptoms and different meds that I can discuss with doc.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Mary, thank you. This is so helpful when we feel like we're swimming in an ocean of unknowns.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more