Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

UTI Questions(2)

I have a couple of questions about UTI. It seems to me individuals with dementia are very susceptible to UTI not saying anymore than someone else with another debilitating disease, but more so than healthy individuals. Is there a reason for this? If so does anyone no why? Is there preventative measures we can take to prevent them? So far we've been very fortunate, and DW hasn't experience any that I know of. I  make sure to keep my wife  hydrated (water, cranberry juice, and Gatorade). Is this enough to prevent them or I'm I missing something? Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Scooterr. One of the reasons they are more likely to have UTI problems is because of incontinence. They should be kept clean, and women are more at risk than men due to their anatomy. Women should always wipe from front to back after a BM, but don't always do that. Also as people age, they are more likely to have problems like that. The use of a bidet can help too.

The measures you are using are good. Keep that up. Another thing that might be a problem is if the bladder is not emptied when urinating. There may be medications for that, but be careful about them. Many are not to be used with PWD.

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Scooter,     I'm glad you can keep your wife drinking the liquids, my wife won't at times and also the Depends don't get changed like they should.  That causes what you are talking about. Hoot
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My wife came from the geripsych, with incontinence underwear, and it hadn't been changed, so I asked that she use her own underwear. I checked today and that did happen. Dw had saved the incontinence underwear, I found it and threw it away it was dirty not too bad though but thats a good way to start a uti. I still am gonna make sure the right things are happening. They mentioned the podiatrist today and I let them know I took care of that yesterday. I had been doing before the geripsych.

She got mer meds after 10 today and is now napping. One plus is I eat free. Not like I am not paying for it though.

Scooter thanks that's a great question.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

I agree about the cleanliness (and hydration crucial, too). Women have more risk than men regardless of age, because of anatomy. And bacteria are easily spread through wiping “techniques” and other sanitary issues that may be more of a problem for PWDs.

But to Cecil’s comment about PWDs brains being so affected by UTIs. Most Alzheimer’s patients are elders, and elders’ behavior are often more obviously affected by UTIs even without Alzheimer’s. 

I dealt with several senior facilities/communities, and health care aides etc., who all said UTI was immediately suspected when someone started acting differently, or badly (usually), any big change—UTI suspected and tested immediately, regardless of dementia.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    I found it interesting that when my DH first went for testing his PCP did three tests, a short written/verbal test, an MRI and a urine test for UTI, even though he didn’t have any symptoms. 
    Scooterr, I think you’re doing all the right things with the hydration. If she becomes incontinent, be careful about changing wet incontinence underwear. Some people just naturally seem to get UTI’s often while they are rare in others.
  • Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Thank you guys for the info. My wife has just recently started having some incontinence problems. I have noticed when my wife does wipe with a bm there are times she wipes the wrong way (that's something else I'm trying to stay on top of) I never thought of  a bidet thanks Ed. When she is wearing her Depends I'm pretty diligent on checking them. Thanks again!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more