Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Agency help?

I am noticing that a lot of the help where dw is, is from an agency. The nurse for my wife is and said she had done a stint working for the facility. She said she preferred working for the agency. 

I kinda thought that 1030 for morning meds was late. The nurse dropped the pills and had to get moreThere are several from the agency in different positions.  I don't know if I like that.  I wonder if they get around reporting turn over that way? Anybody else have any experiences,I would love to hear about how it went with you.

I am spending most of the day with her to see how it's going since she in 7 day isolation.

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    They're not "getting around" anything.

They have no staff.  In order to maintain some kind of care, they need to use an agency.

Hospitals do it, facilities do it.

Nobody wants to do that job.  They can probably work at a fast food job and make more or at least the same without having to change diapers and deal with aggressive people.  I don't blame them.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Where my father was placed also used agencies to fill vacancies.

My granddaughter who is a CNA has worked for agencies...they tend to pay better but have few if any benefits.  She also got to go to multiple facilities, and her experiences were a help to us when we needed to place my father.

At his memory care facility, many of the agency folks had been there for some time.

The need for qualified folks drives the need to use agencies when full time folks are not presenting themselves at the door.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This is called "working for the registry".  It was common fifty years ago, so it's nothing new.  Working for the registry was a good way for newcomers or new graduates to get the lay of the land before accepting a permanent position.  Day is right about the staffing shortage.

Iris

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Day. I was referring to the cms reporting. If the agency folks don't work for the nhf as staff, are you telling me the nhf would report for the agencies workers turnover? 

If they can make that much working at a fast food joint, somebody's missing it! Cause they still can't staff the fast food joints around here day!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Stewart, both acute medical centers and subacute care facilities  use registry staff; it is not at all uncommon.  Using registry came into much higher use with the COVID pandemic.   When I was hospitalized in a large  med center this last year, several of my nurses were from "traveling" registries.

Registry staff must have the same credentials as the regular staff; they must also pass background checks, etc.  

Registry has also been a way for some nursing assistants as well as licensed nurses to control when, where and how much they choose to work.  It is now part of the scene so to speak.

We all would love to have staff be at whatever facility our LOs are at for years and  be part of an ongoing permanent "family" of caregivers, but things today have become a bit different.

You would probably find the same circumstances to one degree or another in most care facilities regardless of whether they are Medicaid certified or private pay only. 

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney