Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Had a great day today

It's day 8 on seroquel and DW is making some positive changes. She has gone from unquestional belief in her hallucinations to questioning their realness. She still is agitated but I think it's from her brain doing a who,what,when,where,why,how and wtf ? status check it's coming up with a lot of zeros and incomplete results causing frustration. She is really pushing back on having a caregiver be here while I golf so I took her with me. She was very agitated all morning because we had to get up at 4:00. I have learned to just be calm and disconnect mentally and let her tire. As soon as we got to the golf course her whole attitude changed. The overwhelming beauty of nature just put her in a relaxed calm state. Watching my friends and I simultaneously insult and encourage each other made her laugh out loud more than once. My friends talked to her and made her feel welcome and she enjoyed the social contact. She was cooperative and great company today. We are definitely doing this again and again. She lost her computer a few days ago and I changed my process with her losing things. I used to try to find the lost item to make her happy. Now I take advantage of her high energy levels and let her find whatever she lost. She was convinced a little girl came and stole the laptop. I told her imagine you had to hide that computer from a 4 year old girl where would you hide it ? It took 2 days but she found it. So I bitch on the rough days I like to share the good days too. Today was a great day. The mental resilience I am learning as a caregiver is transferring into being cool under pressure when I play golf. All the golf drills I do to calm my mind when the tensions are running high have paid off too. My wife had a great day, I got to not only hang out with my friends I got to beat them too !

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    I am so happy for both of you. Those good days are such a gift. I hope the Seroquel can make these days the norm instead of the exception. I do think that getting our LOs out of the house and in the company of other people can make a big difference. Keep on keeping on.
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you jmlarue. I also bring her to work with me. That has been a positive experience as well.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Bill, that sounds like a wonderful day. It sounds like the Seroquel is kicking in and doing it’s thing. The difference can be amazing when you find the right medications and the right dosage. Everyone is so different that it sometimes seems to take a while. You handled the lost laptop perfectly. She is lucky to have a husband so involved in her care.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Bill where did you find the laptop?
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Yes, where was the laptop found?

So glad you had a great day! I did, too! Today was DH's Jekyll day. It's such a conundrum why he has Jekyll and Hyde days, every other day. I understand there are fluctuations, but this cycle is just so odd.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    That's where things get  a little fuzzy. She came into my office holding the laptop with a look of "I got it." I said good show me where you found it. She brought me into a bathroom and said she handed it to me from there. Pointing to the mirror. The little girl handed her the laptop from the mirror. That is her story and I didn't question it. So I am not really sure where she had it stashed. I didn't check that bathroom at all, I sorta gave up on the easter egg hunt thing and delegated that task to her. So was it in the bathroom ? Not sure. I am pretty sure a liitle girl didn't hand it to her through the mirror though.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    It's really good to see when someone has a great day. I'm so glad things are looking up for both of you.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bill so happy for you and your wife! Good days and even good moments are truly a great gift. Wishing you both have many more. Thank you for sharing.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I love the laptop in the mirror story! I'm sure that is how they perceive much of life--the same bizarreness we see in this story.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Bill, I am delighted to hear of your wonderful, happy, very good day!  That is such a terrific outcome, and the found computer on top of it.  You also are teaching us something you have learned that may also be helpful to others in tight situations..

Big smile being sent your way,

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living