Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The windows are all open now

I've said before that when I've been reading all the posts here over the years, they've been been like looking thru windows to the future.  The windows don't really open for me until I've actually experienced what was talked about.  I've gone thru one window into the next, and on and on from one stage of this disease to the next stage.

This morning my wife and I were looking thru the window into stage eight, until that widow opened and Pat flew through. She left me standing in stage eight today.  Now I understand and can relate to so many more of you.

Pat taught me so much in our 31 years.  She was teaching me up until she flew away.  She made me who I am today.  It's no joke that this EOAD experience was pure hell at times and I was clearly burnt out on caregiving.  But, this experience showed me that I love her more than I ever could have thought possible.  Our family is hurting and I feel broken.  I sure do miss Pat.  She was 62 and this picture was from a couple of months ago; things changed fast.

Steve.

Comments

• saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    What a beautiful way of expressing your feelings.  Your and Pat were lucky to have had each other.  Our younger daughter, a few years younger than your Pat, has been diagnosed with EOAD.  Her husband sounds a lot like you and I grieve for both of them. Your post has been a great help to me.  I'm so sorry you are feeling broken and hope your memories will help you in your grief and healing.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Steve I’m very sorry for your loss of Pat.
  • John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I’m sorry for your loss. Your post was both elegant and poignant. You have my sympathy.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,724
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I am shocked 60F, this was unexpected was it not? And sorry and relieved for you at the same time. That is a wonderful picture.

your love for her and dedication came through in every post.  Peace to you.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    (((Steve)))
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Steve, I'm so sorry. Nothing prepares you for this, or even comes close. Sending strength for the coming days.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Steve so sorry for your loss. The picture shows a beautiful couple. Prayers for you and your family. Your expression of this experience is beautifully written. Blessing and strength for you and your family.
  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 839
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Lovely photo, lovely lady.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Heartfelt condolences to you, Steve, on your Pat’s passing.  You have been a warrior caregiver.  I hope the coming weeks and months will bring you peace.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    What a beautiful way of sharing your loss. Thank you for the picture, you look like a fantastic couple. She looks so good in that picture.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you move through this new stage. 

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Losing your Loved One is hard, I appreciate the way you told us.   May you find solace in our replies, I will keep you in my prayers.
  • Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Steve, so sorry for your lose.                                                                                                   I almost didn’t read your post today, I never thought of the windows being closed then open so that our Love Ones could leave this cruel disease behind. May you find some peace from the fresh air that now will come in, through the open window. May your broken heart, and mind remember the good times and forget the bad times, may you find solace knowing that even in your struggles to take care of her that you were her guardian angel, and made her journey with This cruel disease much easier to bear. God’s Blessings to you and your family. Richard  

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    We think we are prepared. Our brain might be, but our heart never is. Sending sincerest condolences.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    I am so sorry for the loss of your dear wife. Your announcement was beautiful and loving. Thank you for posting the photo as well. She was a beautiful woman. Please take care of yourself at this difficult time.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Steve I am sorry for your loss. Your windows are all open. May it be calm and peaceful now. We'll done good and faithful caregiver.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    much love sent...........
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You've expressed yourself beautifully. Thank you for sharing the picture.

eagle

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Steve I am so sorry for your loss. You expressed your thoughts beautifully in a way I have never thought of.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I'm so sorry for your loss.  The picture of the two of you is wonderful.  Please get some rest and take care of yourself.  We are here if you need us.
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    60, I'm so very sorry for your loss. But you described the process beautifully. And I hope you'll think of your wife as flying through that last open window to freedom.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

May her spirit have flown to absolute peace and absolute joy.   Your writing is lovely as is the photograph.  I send heartfelt condolences to you on your deep loss.     You have gone the distance and  thensome and have been her ever faithful love, husband and best friend and the carer of her person through the difficult times, always her advocate.

May you find some comfort in knowing how much you gave of yourself and that you made a huge difference for your beloved wife.  Your vows have been honored beyond expectations.

J.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I am so sorry Steve, I loved the analogy I am so glad she got to fly.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Sending my condolences, Steve. Your post is a good way to look at the inevitable emding of all this.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Steve, I am very sorry for your loss of Pat. I’ve learned through the years that nothing can really prepare us for the loss of a loved one, especially our spouse, our life partner. I’ve learned a lot from you and I’ve always appreciated you. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Steve, my sincere condolences for your loss. I love the window analogy and the picture of the 2 of you. Be gentle with yourself over the upcoming weeks.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Steve, My sincere condolences on the loss of your wife. May you find some peace in the days ahead.
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    When she flew out that window so did you. She went on one adventure and you on another. Stay positive, stay focused enjoy the gift of life to the fullest right to the end. You will see her again then. Until then she is alive in your memories. Imagine she is watching over you so you don't do anything dumb and you don't dwell on sadness too much. Fare well on your new adventure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more