Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hospice care starting this week for my LO

My wife, 67 y.o. diagnosed 7 years ago with ALZ, is now at stage 7 and the palliative care physician recommended hospice care. She has been in the hospital for several weeks in a geriatric unit to get her meds right after some nighttime disruptive behaviors plus some underlying medical issues. She also had a couple of falls in the assisted living facility; nothing broken but that was the catalyst for an ER visit and subsequent hospital admission. 

She has lost about 20 pounds, eating very little but have success with Boost supplement. Helps me psychologically when I help to give her that. Does recognize me and I get a brief smile and kiss when I visit, although most of the time either sleeping or restless/confused. 

Good thing is she is being discharged on Tuesday and going back to her memory care facility and we have things set up with the hospice care agency. I think that will help her to an extent, extended inpatient stays, even with the excellent care she has received, or hard enough even without ALZ. 

Tough time for me having the hospice discussion with the doctor. Brings home her mortality, which I've known intellectually since day 1 of her 2015 diagnosis but emotionally is another thing all together. The doc said the reason for hospice was not "imminent death but a poor prognosis with a terminal disease". 

That said, I am so scared of losing her. As anyone else been through the hospice experience, all new to me.

Thanks

Bob

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bob, we did not use hospice, but everything I've heard about it is nothing short of great. I'm glad she is getting it. Hospice pays for just about everything she will need, and people sometimes stay in hospice for as much as two years.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

My mother with dementia had Hospice service in her facility for a few years, in and out 3-4 times.

I cannot say enough good things about it. The services and equipment they provide are awesome, all delivered fast —both people or things.

She was one of those who would improve enough—weight gains, better mobility—to “graduate” the program. (Once she was in almost 2 years). Then she’d decline, and they’d come back.

I saw so many others with dementia who were in Hospice a few years, many off and on, so  I didn’t see it as an “end of life soon” situation. When it really was the end, it came big and was very obvious….But Hospice was a tremendous help all the way through.

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Yes, I had hospice help for the last six my months of my husband's life. I thought they were great. I cared for him at home. The same day that he was approved, they provided a hospital bed and all sorts of supplies. Additionally, all of his meds were delivered. They weren't stingy on his meds either. He was given 180 hydrocodone pills and all the anti-nausea pills he needed. In contrast, my daughter, who was diagnosed with cancer a year ago, has a heck of a time getting her needed prescriptions. 

Hospice also provides emotional, psychological, and spiritual support. Whenever you need to talk to someone, they'll be available. 

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bob C wrote:

She has lost about 20 pounds, eating very little but have success with Boost supplement. 

Weight loss provides an admitting diagnosis for hospice, under the category of failure to thrive.

Iris

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi Bob, my HWD just qualified for hospice. Like you, seeing the train coming did not lessen its impact. My reaction surprised me.

Now that we are a week in,I find hospice support everything the others on this forum have posted about.  

This journey is fraught with overwhelming sadness. I have not taken advantage of hospice grief counseling, but may.

• Annen1014
    Annen1014 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments
    so very sorry that you have arrived at this point so early in your lives. My HWd and I just celebrated our 57 wedding anniversary. It breaks my heart for you that you will not reach that milestone..
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bob glad you get the smile and kiss. She knows you and the love you both have for each other is a beautiful thing. Hospice will add more care for your wife. Prayers for you both.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Bob, my DH is 66 and was diagnosed just over 6 years ago. He was admitted to hospice 11 months ago, one year after going into MC. Shortly after he started hospice, he had a big decline and went from 7b to 7e. Bedbound, has to be fed, turned to prevent bedsores, etc. We were so blessed hospice was already on board when that happened. They had a hospital bed there quickly, as well as a wheel chair, lift, etc. They were already providing depends, bed pads, wipes, nurse visits, aids to assist with showering, all his meds and more. They are a great help. It is a hard step to take for us, but it is such a blessing that they are there.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more