Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

They seemed good me!

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Absolutely frustrating!  I don't know how people miss those little things that should tell them something's not right.  But I missed them for several years too so I can't blame them.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Good for you. I think you got your point across.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Some in our family just don't want to see what they can't cope with. My DH's brother picks him up every Saturday morning and they spend an hour at a local cafe to have coffee with a few other old friends. This has been the norm for the past 4 years as my DH has progressed from MCI to Stage 6 dementia. DH's inability to carry on any type of normal, intelligible conversation at this point is impossible to ignore. And, yet, none of these folks acknowledge that there is anything substantially wrong with DH. I can only assume that he's remaining largely silent and just listening to the other's chit chat and joking banter. No doubt they all just think he's a "good listener," never realizing that he has difficulty comprehending what they say or finding the words to interject. These are the folks who will be shocked by his death and say stupid things at his funeral like, "I had no idea he was so sick."
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I can relate to the frustration. Our kids say dad hasn’t been “right “ for a long time. True he hasn’t been “normal “ since 2001 when he had severe brain damage. Others just say say he’s very quiet. They don’t understand he’s quite because he can’t get words out so he is quite. But it is what it is. So as caregivers we just keep doing the best we can do.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Try not to upset yourselves.  They are oblivious, the same as some professionals.  Just let them spend a significant amount of time alone (if it can be done safely) with the PWD.  Then they will ask, what happened? 

Iris

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh my; my mother had a behavioral variant of FTD and her behaviors were over the moon.  My dear brother who lived 20 minutes way rarely came to visit, perhaps once every month or so and stayed always less than an hour.  My mother, like so many dementia patients saw me, the person doing the most for her as a terrible person despite my striving to do well for her.  She saw my brother as the, :Second Coming."  No big deal, I had no ego needing stoking and anything that gave her a little pleasure was just fine.

As things became worse and worse, if I tried to inform my brother, he simply said she was fine, no problem; it must "me."  Bite tongue, and let my eyeballs roll around for a minute or so and had a good reason to get off the phone.

Well . . . about a year and a half later of "nothing being wrong," my dear brother and his wife came to visit for Mother's Day.  We were both there visiting with a wrapped gift; when out of the blue . . . my mother began to shout, and rant and curse and shout louder and louder making no sense . . . it was in Dolby Stereo and her face as red as could be and she began flailing about. My brother and his wife exited stage left and went outside. I got everything calmed and went outside. My brother and his wife were pale with big eyes and he asked, "What the HE-- was that?????"    I quietly said, "Welcome to my world."  He never doubted me after that.  

Sometimes it takes a little reality before one can see the forest . . .

P.S.  I had my DM with FTD; my step-dad with Alz's Disease at the same time and my MIL and GMIL both with Alzheimer's Disease.  All of them had family doubters.  Tincture of time becomes the great reality check.  Learned just to let go which is not an easy lesson, but sure is freeing.

J.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Cecil you did what I've wanted to do. That is such a common response. They seem ok to me! Family can be the worst! No disrespect I am speaking about my family.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Knowing how common this is, and also knowing that dh will never have any family come see him, I decided early on that when people said, "he looks fine to me," I would hear it as praise that I was doing a great job caring for him.

If you can't beat 'em, cope the best you can. (Although I do love the takedown.)

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

@jmlarue. I call it Old Man Church!  DH and a group of friends have met for Saturday breakfast for several years.  The participants vary and the age range is the occasional young grandkid or kid to the 80s yo.  Sometimes only 2 or 3 attend and sometimes 15.  There are a couple of the guys who are older who I am pretty sure may have MCI or further along (my DH is only 59, no diagnosis, but definitely some cognitive changes.)  They all sort of accept each other where they are and as DH says “solve the problems of the world.”  

In the small town where I grew up they called it the “Spit and Whittle” club - they hung out on the courthouse square in our small town, whittled and spit, and gossiped and “solved the problems of the world.”  It sounds like your LO has a great group of guys who accept who and where he is!  What a wonderful blessing!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more