Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH doesn’t know I live with him

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
Any ideas on what to do when DH doesn’t know I live with him. He didn’t want me in the house today.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy, I'm sorry you are going through this. I've seen where others might just leave for a short while, then return to the PWD in a better moment. Maybe when you come home you say "Here's your loving wife coming home now." It could work.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    EiCy can you go in a different room for a while? I honestly don’t have anything else to offer. Ed had a good idea, if you can leave him by his self for a short time. Wishing you luck.
  • ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

So, I left the house.. I almost checked into a hotel as I have no other place to stay. He called me, a little incoherent and again said I should not return. An hour later, I came home. Everything was fine and that night in bed he told me I had the kindest heart and he was so glad I was his wife.

This disease is so hard on my soul. UGH

• TyroneSlothrop
    TyroneSlothrop Member Posts: 51
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

ElCy,

My DW often doesn’t recognize me (married 46 years), and asks if her husband has called to say when he will be coming home.  But it doesn’t cause her anxiety, so I just calmly tell her that I’m me, over and over. She doesn’t believe it. I bet I will be in your boat soon.  It has me looking for MC, even though she is fit and often appears capable of independent life. 

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Something I do is when she is really pissed I'll break contact with her for a few minutes and re-establish contact as if it's the first time I saw her that day and I am obnoxiously happy about it. More often than not she fill forget what she is pissed about and go with happy. It's good to change the location from where you broke contact to where you re-establish contact.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Put on another blouse in a different color, perhaps a hat, so that you look different.  That has helped some people. 

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney