Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Younger onset

Hello amazing people, my dear friend has been recently diagnosed with Alzheimer at 51.

Comments

• Amy Joy
    Amy Joy Member Posts: 90
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    About two years ago or so I was having memory problems. My doctor did many tests. I’m showing signs of memory loss and mental decline on tests. I was diagnosed with early onset dementia at age of 49.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Welcome Amy Joy; you have found a place where you will be understood and receive support from others who truly understand.

Matthew, Early Onset is considered if the onset of dementia was under 65 years of age.   If one has been medically diagnosed with dementia and it is early onset; if the age of the person, is 66 years old or younger, then one can apply for a Compassionate Allowance for Social Security benefits.  With Compassionate Allowance criteria, that application is processed very, very quickly; usually within a few weeks to two months.  Here is a link that discusses that for those who were not aware.

https://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/

J.

• Amy Joy
    Amy Joy Member Posts: 90
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

When I was a child  I was diagnosed with learning difficulties and mental illness. I lived in a home for children.

I had trouble holding a job most my life.

Now I’m having medical problems and dementia and can’t work.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more