Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Got my colonoscopy done

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Well, I was a little surprised. I've had a colonoscopy before, but this time the prep was much easier than it was last time. No stomach cramps like last time, but it's not fun to sit and wait for might/will happen at any time, for hours. I didn't realize how uncomfortable the bidet seat was. But a laptop makes it a little easier. This all happened yesterday.

At 7 this morning I arrived at the hospital out-patient site. After registration the first thing I saw was the roto-rooter guy, and I knew what he was there for. He just smiled at me. But they gave me some fentanyl/versed, and the next thing I knew, the roto-rooter guy was gone, and they told me everything looked fine. My cologuard test came back positive, I've had minor symptoms, and my PSA was over 11, so I was a little concerned that I might have cancer that spread. My PSA always runs high, but never hit 11 before. So I was a little surprised when they told me they would see me in 10 years. The worst part of the whole thing for me was lack of sleep (probably less than 2 hours), and nothing substantial to eat for 24 hours. If you need one, have it done. It wasn't so bad.

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hope you had a good meal later! My dh is always starving after he’s had that done! Glad everything was good.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I have had a number of colonoscopies done. The prep is always worse than the real thing. The doctor who does mine is hilarious and we always trade quips before the oblivion sets in. 

During the first one, before the anaesthesia kicked in, he mentioned that the hospital would sending me a letter asking me to rate the experience. I assured him it would rate five stars for ambience, experience and sheer enjoyment. We both laughed at that.

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ed, glad to hear you got the "all clear." To add a little levity to this topic, I remember reading the humor columnist Dave Barry's account of the "clean out" preparations for his colonoscopy. In describing his time on the toilet, he said, "You've all seen the space shuttle take-off, right?"
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Good for you, getting that done, Ed. So glad you got the all clear. 

Yes, I'm so grateful the preps are much easier now than they used to be. (I have Crohn's from a young age so have had many scopes.) They are so easy and fast they have me worried I'm not cleaned out enough. Always am, though, thank goodness. That said, it's not something you want to do every day .

Hilarious comments, Buggsroo and Bill.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

10 years. Congratulations. I’ve never had more than five and once had a one year callback. I’m currently on a three year plan so I’m good until next spring.

My doc always seems to be changing the prep. But, it always includes lots of Miralax. Once he asked what I mixed the Miralax with and  I told him that I used Motts for Tots Apple/White Grape Juice. He looked at me quizzically and remarked “you opened all those little boxes!” I then had to explain that it comes in half gallons too. 

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Neither of the two I had involved Miralax,  Both involved the nastiest tasting stuff.  Although the last one was at least less of it. It also resulted in a lot quicker clean out so that I wasn’t camped next to the bathroom all evening 

The second one also landed me on the three year plan, so next summer for me.  Spouse is on the five year plan since his mom had colon cancer (found early and fixed easily). 

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have always had to drink a full gallon of something that tasted like soap called a lavage. While you are waiting for the bowel evacuation to start. You kinda pace, sit down, get up, look at the clock. It reminds me of the scene in American werewolf in london where it's a full moon and he is just nervously waiting for it to happen. Once it starts it's a long night.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    They gave me a prescription for cleanout. And they gave me instructions for an alternative (Miralax and Gatorade plus Dulcolax). Since the prescription was $165.00, I opted for Walgreens brand of Miralax and Dulcolax, which cost less than $20.00, if I remember right. And it did not cause any rocket like experience. Very gentle.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Ed, Since it was so easy for you the next time I am scheduled I will send you 1 of the  gal. of clean-out so you can help.  when wife gets placed I'm due for one.    Is there a reason that they can't make it taste a lot better??? Thanking you for going to help.. Hoot
  • JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 456
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Years ago, pre dementia,  My DH was prepping for his 1st colonoscopy. He said, "if I could invent a clear liquid cheeseburger, I'd be a millionaire."

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more