Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Strange What I Will Call A Win

Joe C.
Joe C. Member Posts: 944
Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
As many of you know I placed DW 9-1/2 months ago and as I previously posted she is happy at the MC and has never asked about home. Also it has been several years since DW acknowledged that I am her husband. So yesterday when I arrived for a visit the first thing she said was, “I’m going to kill you”, I responded “what” and she repeated the same so I asked her Why and she said, “because your not here with me”. This was the first acknowledgment in a long time that we belonged together so I’m taking that as a Win. I then asked if she wanted to go outside for a walk and she smiled and said yes and all talk of homicide disappeared.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    That's a big time win for you Joe! Here's to more wins like that.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I think you’re right to put this one in the win column, Joe.  Sometimes I use the flickering lightbulb as an analogy—those moments of illumination are precious.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,724
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Aw Joe the underlying message that she knows she belongs with you is very sweet. I'd call that a win, too.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm happy for you, Joe. Definitely a win. Wrap it up, and hang on tightly.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I’m going to call it a win.  I’m also going to speculate that she said that first part the way many non PWD do - as a joke.  It falls flat though when  a PWD says it because they can no longer do the infections, tones and gestures that complete the teasing part of it.   At least I’d like to think that’s how she meant it
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Definitely a win, and cherish it, Joe.  My DH, placed the same day as your DW, doesn’t acknowledge me in any way, shape, or form except to open his mouth like a baby bird if I get close, anticipating a bite to eat.  I miss the days long gone when he would jokingly tell me to “go to Hell” in the midst of a lively conversation or disagreement. I think he got his wish; I think I’ve gone to Hell.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What a sweet and meaninful Win; a small gift for you.   It reminds me of the old song, "Little Things Mean A Lot."  Always brings tears to my eyes with special meaning considering the circumstances. The lyrics that start at about, 1:14 on the song track is what reaches the heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C7SzKv2uLU

J.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Joe, that is a beautiful win! She knows you belong together! Thank you for sharing!
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Joe, I can just imagine how that SMILE made you feel. A big win for you. Sometimes it;s just the simple things that make it all worth while. Hoot
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    My focus is getting my DH placed and the dread that he won't accept a new "home" and separation. Hoping against hope I'm wrong and can experience a WIN like you've just had.
  • Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    Oh, sweet…sometimes it is the smallest of things that become rare gifts to hold on to.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more