Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Care Facility Search

Just a quick vent. 

I’ve used my precious free time to tour two facilities this week.  I have another scheduled for Friday.  

The marketing of assisted living and memory care facilities comes straight from the new car sales textbook. Maybe we’ll watch Cadillac Man tonight. 

Comments

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

John, 

From this point forward, tweak your MCF research approach.  Google Memory Care facilities and you will be rewarded with a wealth of options.  Narrow them down to places with a website (not "A Place for Mom" sites).  Narrow them further (if you wish) to those which are dedicated Memory Care Facilities (omit AL with "memory care wings").  Dedicated, or stand alone MCF's are specifically designed for those patients with Alz.dementia.   Check out the websites at your leisure, narrow them down to what appeals to you and then start calling.  Have a list of questions ready (nothing is off limits) and interview the MCF representative.  I started with about 8 facilities, everything from AL with MC wings, to SNF with memory wings and everything in between.  I made a spreadsheet so I could compare and contrast services, costs, amenities, etc. It soon became clear, for me at least, that dedicated MCF's checked all the boxes: handled aggressive behavior, wandering, incontinence, assistance with all ADL's including hand feeding, costs were all inclusive, residents could age in place there, etc.  I narrowed my choices down to 2- - 38 and 44 miles respectively from my home. I visited the MCF's several times, took family members along, stopped in unexpectedly and spoke with residents' LO's, caregivers, nurses, any staff I could find.  I started the process two years before placement, "just in case".  I thought I would care for DH at home until the end.

Long story short, I placed DH in November and I have been happy with his care and the facility ever since.  There has been a bump or two, but nothing that a phone conversation or a short meeting with staff did not resolve.  Good luck; it's time consuming but rewarding if you find a suitable home for DW that pleases both of you.  

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Beachfan...could you give an estimate of the cost? I have been checking facilities and in Orange County, CA the MC facilities (not board and care) run about $7500-8000. Today I visited a place I really liked and prices were based on level of care...if one needs complete help, like my husband goes up to $8000. Less care is cheaper.

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    To add to the stress, costs are obfuscated. 
    Some claim “all inclusive” but charge for x, y, z. Who has time to figure this out when you don’t have 30 consecutive minutes of free time to think?
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Cherjer (and John),

I have before me DH's bill for September.  It is $5725.00.  His MCF is located in Lebanon, PA. That cost is all inclusive; there are no tiers for care.  (DH requires total physical care.) It is out of pocket; Medicaid is not accepted.  John, the only "x,y,z charges" are as follows: I provide briefs and wipes (I buy in bulk and have them delivered here.)  I pay for haircuts ($15.00) and a co-pay of $10.00 for the facility Doctor visit (about every 4 months).  DH no longer takes medication; when he did, I provided it through a mail order prescription plan. 

I did research another facility and found extra costs were to be added as care needs increased; this was an AL facility that advertised a "memory care wing".    This facility also assessed prospective residents for "suitability" and turned patients away if behaviors and care needs escalated.  DH's MCF is solely dedicated to Alz/dementia patients; they handle everything related to patient care. I hope this information helps.  

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Thank  you so much for the information Beachfan. The MC sounds so affordable and the perfect place for your dh. I know you cared for him at home for a very long time. I really appreciate your response.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Cherjer, look up Brittany House in Long Beach.  I have no personal knowledge about it other than they take in PWDs.

Iris

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Cherjer-

I believe my dad was in a facility that is owned by the same parent company as Beachfan's.

The advice she gave you is pretty spot-on. LOL, especially the bit about avoiding APFM as if your very life depends on it. Once they have your contact info, every new incoming sales manager will call to touch base with you in an attempt to lure you over to their facility. This can be awkward if say, you LO died 4 years ago, the call went to Bluetooth and your mom is in the car with you. It took some real convincing to get her to accept that I wasn't trying to re-home her. 

I toured a dozen places, from those which have a religious affiliation, a state veteran's home, large corporate CCRC, for-profit freestanding MCFs and even a place the was started as a bequest by a local philanthropist in honor of his mom over 100 years ago for people in my community. Pricing was all over the place in terms of how it was determined, but at the end of the day, only the vets and the local place were outliers. However the pricing was determined, the monthly fees were remarkably consistent. 

That said, I did find the tiered pricing sketchy and didn't want to deal with those folks. One had a tier for a 2-person-lift which is kind of a trick question-- all people should be a 2-person-lift for the safety of all involved. It is best to ask what is included. The only extras were incontinence supplies and medications. They also offered trips out for shopping and lunch and a "take-out" lunch weekly that were extra as well as the hair stylist, podiatrist (MCF doesn't cut nails), PCP and geripsych as needed. 

Pricing typically follows COL in the community as staff is their biggest expense. My aunt's MCF in suburban Boston was considerably more expensive than the one midway between Philadelphia and Princeton where dad was. And dad's was about $1K/month (4 years ago) more than beachfan's in a less expensive part of the same state. CA is going to be expensive.

HB
  • rlpete
    rlpete Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Beachfan,

Thank you for those good recommendations. I'm not to that point but I know the day will come. Separating MCF from AL with a MCF wing is a good suggestion. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more