Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

First visit

I went to see my dh this evening after work. I arrived during dinner, and didn't find him at first--I had thought he was eating in a different dining room. Anyway, when I found him, he was so happy to see me. We weren't allowed to walk around in the building--either his room or outside, but I brought him a few things and then we walked outside. He pretty much thinks he's there for keeps, but he also heard someone say they were retiring after two years so he thinks after two years you get out.

Anyway, he's content to be there and didn't try to follow me out.   He went for a drive with facility staff yesterday, so he was happy about that. I plan to bring him some things Sunday and maybe take him to Del Taco, which is pretty close to heaven on earth for him.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Diane, it sounds as though things are going really well for both of you. I'm happy about that. Del Taco would be new to me, but it just sounds like heaven on earth to me too.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

It’s so comforting to find your LO happy and content after the agony of the placement decision making process.  I wish it were so for all those in the trenches.  I hope your DH remains in a good state and that you are also faring well.  

As for Del Taco, I am a taco lover, but live in PA.  I’m hoping if I visit my son in TX, I can find a “branch office” and partake!  

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Diane your husband sounds similar to mine except that mine does not question why he is where he is. I went to see him the other day and he was eating lunch. There wasn’t room for me so I went into his room to straighten up. It is an exercise in futility because he  messes it up as soon as he has a chance. I watched and as soon as he was finished I went out to the table. I think he had forgotten I had just seen him. He still talks but he also makes a lot of repetitive sounds. I think he thinks he is funny and his lady friends think he is. They laugh constantly with him.  He doesn’t ask about why he is there or if he can leave, when I leave I simply say I have to go to work. He has no memory or me retiring 4 years ago. I don’t mention any of our past history because in the moment he has to then admit that he does not remember. Nothing I say about our history will stay with him. His world is now just the here and now. 5 minutes after finishing lunch he had no idea what he had eaten. It is so sad but he is happy so that is a good thing.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm glad it's going well!! It's such a relief to see a LO adjust so well.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you to all! Gig, I almost think that time will be a blessing, when he doesn't know what he has lost. I try not to bring up things that will remind him of the outside world too much, because it just makes him sad. My brother is getting married next month and Joe has enough sense of time that I'm afraid he will realize he didn't get to go. He would love to go, but would hate all aspects of the event--sitting through the service, standing around with all those people, waiting for dinner to be served, and that noisy music, so I just hope he doesn't notice it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more