Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Behavior Changes

My partner/best friend lives with me due to her Alzheimer's.  She is going into moderate level. Lately, she is getting snarky, starting fights, and tonight, was screaming furiously at me because I spoke a truth instead of staying in her fantasy. I am still learning how to do that. 

Now, at 1 a.m., she is storming around slamming doors, screaming at me, yelling that she is leaving this house. She has no where to go. 

I am hitting the wall. How do people handle this? I'm at a dead loss. Could use some help.

Thanks.

Carol T. 

Rochester NY 

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

More members will respond in the morning.  But you have to meet her at her reality.  She has anosognosia and is not aware of having Alzheimer's Disease.  Also, it appears she is sundowning.  Learn about this and other terms.  As for now tell her that you will go with her in the morning, but you both have to stay here tonight.  Make up a nice story about why.  This is called a therapeutic fib, or a loving lie.  Don't fight--she lives in another reality now.

Iris L.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Carol, you said "I spoke a truth instead of staying in her fantasy. I am still learning how to do that. " Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you want to "be right". At this point in the game, you have to ask yourself if being right is more important than having a working relationship. There is an awful price to pay to be right. Apologize to her, tell her you'll work together on any problems to overcome them, and come across as a caring individual. Your reality is a thing of the past. Hers is where you have to live.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,724
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Carol, do you hold her powers of attorney?  I hope so, because you are likely going to need them if you need to change her living situation.  You certainly should have the authority if you are bearing all the responsibility.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more