Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

On Further Reflection

Some long-time members here might recall that several years ago I produced a photo calendar, In Her View. It featured the professional quality photographs taken by my wife before her 14 year (so far) journey in dementia began. I wanted to celebrate her talent, her ability to see beauty in a scene most of us would pay no attention to. The photos she took of landforms, of street musicians, of endless hallways, invited one into mindful viewing, or to craft “the rest of the story”.  In that calendar I also wove information about dementia, and about caregiving, and resources available from the Alzheimer’s Association and other good sources. So besides a celebration, the calendar was also meant as an awareness tool and an information source.

Well, out of the 8000 negatives I have of my wife’s, I found 15 more good ones, and the September 2022-Dec 2023 On Further Reflection Calendar has just arrived from the printer. See excerpts attached.

It is free.

I am giving it away. I am not selling anything. No tricks, no strings.

Let me know if you would like one. I will snail mail it to you.  Enjoy the calendar yourself; share it with friends and family. Educate others about dementia.

(Ok, if you or anyone later choose to make some sort of  a donation, that would be nice, but it is not required).

Contact me through the Dementia Friendly Saline Michigan website: dfsaline.org.

Mr. Toad

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Mr Toad. 

It is so nice hearing from you. I bet the calendar is lovely and a sweet remembrance, of you dear wife. Thank you for the offer I may be ordering one soon. Take care of yourself. Hugs Zetta 

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    I'll be getting one , your journey has been a long one with your loved one.Hoot
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello Toad. I didn't order one the last time because I was afraid my wife would see it, and it would make problems we didn't need. But that is no longer a concern, so I ordered one, and a donation was made while thinking of my wife. 

Thank you for everything you have done for everyone. You are a true star!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,724
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Great photos Mr. T!  Thanks for sharing and what a wonderful idea.
  • MrToad
    MrToad Member Posts: 22
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Thank you, Ed. It will be in the mail shortly. Any donation for dementia awareness is appreciated but none is required. I just want folks to enjoy and perhaps use the calendar as an awareness tool. Among other things, the calendar discusses how different is the world our loved ones inhabit.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    for  the ones who want the calendar go to the site than use Phone Number listed
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hoot619 wrote:
    for  the ones who want the calendar go to the site than use Phone Number listed

Hmmm, I just sent Jim an email.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    and thanks for the link...what a wondeerful community
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you, I will send for one and make a donation.  What a great project for you and your wife! 

Iris 

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I am heading to https://www.dfsaline.org/  right away. This looks like a wonderful way to help! I work in a school of nursing and would love to raise awareness there.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more