Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Off topic(1)

So I wanted to start a thread that asks the question. 

"What do you still do for your lo even though it may not matter anymore?

I still push mow the area close to the house, because dw didn't like the way the rider mower did it. It takes me an hour to push mow and I don't dilly around. I figure I get some good cardio and I still do it because she liked it that way. Seems kinda stupid but in some ways I feel better.

Comments

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

TBE…That is thoughtful.

I always fold his colored t-shirts a certain way and place them in the shelf stacks that are either work wear or casual company/going out wear.

Then he rifles through the piles tossing them every which way in the wardrobe shelves, wears the good shirts as work wear and wants to wear the worn work shirts out.

I now have 1/2 dozen that hang in the closet where he never looks and magically produce them when he needs a going out shirt.

It works.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Steward this is a good thread. I still cook all of dh’s favorite dishes, but he can’t taste the food and only takes a bit or too. I made him a roast with carrots and potatoes and onions. (I don’t eat meat) I only eat some of the vegetables. I made a pan of cornbread with it which he used to love. He ate a few bites and asked for his ice cream. Some times I wonder why I keep trying to make him good dinners because it really doesn’t matter!
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    I make banana bread and a small batch of oatmeal cookies.  He gets all excited when he sees me baking in the kitchen.  He just talks and talks and talks about the smells and how good it tastes.  I have other things I'd rather be doing but this is just part of our Saturday morning ritual.  At least we still have one thing that hasn't changed.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    TBE, for some reason I am about to cry after reading your post.  I'm trying to think of something that I still do that may not really matter.  One thing I can think of is making sure to buy him a jar of pickled herring when grocery shopping.  It is something he remembers eating from childhood and it makes him happy.  If I didn't but it though, he wouldn't ask for it.  As long as he has his ice cream he is happy.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Toolbelt ,   I'm glad I read this one. As a treat I've been giving her ice cream Later today will make her some cookies. The banana bread later on. she used to make that a lot.  She does enjoy her treats and that's about it    Hoot
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    This is thought provoking and I don't think it's off topic at all. Still thinking....
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I am smiling at all your stories.  You all make me want to make some banana bread as that was one of her favorites. I just need some ripe bananas. 

White Crane ice cream is now my dw favorite thing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more