Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

5 years in Memory care-Random thoughts

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

This month DW will hit 5 years in memory care.  Her good physical condition  is a tribute to good facility care and a fine personal  caretaker. But her brain is completely gone . The wonderful woman I married 47 years ago is long gone.  Please do not suggest that she is "in there" and just can't communicate.  
That just hurts .  I check on DW by face time almost every day and see her on the weekend.
 The financial structure I set up 5 years ago ends this year.  I have the money , it just needs to be reorganized  to deal with inflation. 
I do the best I can.  I have women friends, They like my cooking and I enjoy their company.

But DW was the love of my life. I have no romantic interest in anyone

I am invited to Thanksgiving or more precisely I am invited to cook a Turkey and bring it
"have turkey will travel"    (our family thanksgiving is Thanksgiving Saturday )
 My therapist says I am the most married guy she ever met.     
 My children and grandchildren are wonderful

I am writing a lecture I will give in Berlin in October on mass disasters.

I have a new induction stove and  I am thawing a turkey to try out the oven.

I am installing Solar energy on the house

It's like building a life out of Lego blocks .  From a distance it looks almost real . Only up close do you see plastic

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    I hear you, Crushed.  The analogy of the house built of lego blocks hits home.  You have a life but inside the wheels have fallen off or that is the way it feels with me.  Thank you for sharing.
  • Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Crushed:

I enjoy reading your posts and appreciate your insights.  Thanks. My wife began showing signs of dementia five years ago. Reading posts is a big part of my trying to understand what is going on in our lives. Its a daily challenge tryng to manage my emotions and deal with her and the daily situations of life. 

Dave

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Crush. Like Dave said above, it helps to read them as I try to navigate this strange life we now lead. Knowing others are out there who "get it" is reassuring and provides an indirect witness of my own existence. Without that it would feel like I was floating and bouncing randomly around in the cosmos like an astronaut who lost the tether to the spaceship.

Thanks for your simile that captures some nuances I strongly relate to, "It's like building a life out of Lego blocks .  From a distance it looks almost real . Only up close do you see plastic." I go through the motions of life working the best I can to create something meaningful out of the pieces that are left. It often feels unreal, whatever that phrase means.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

" From a distance it looks almost real . Only up close do you see plastic"

Precisely............Thank you for the words.

• Crushed

People ask what I do to take care of myself

one of my hobbies is a daily anagram poetry challengs
    You get a long word from a very short list and have to find an anagram and make a poem using both words usually in about 10 minutes  Some folks don't make poems But I view that as minor league  So today I had Romanized  here was my poem randomize was the anagram

"I said Romanised not Randomise"
    screamed the outraged Don
    "this jumble of letters you’ve written
    would certainly fool no one
    Your Persian must be limited
    to cats and antique rugs
    You’ve far more Farce than Farsi
    Or else you’re just on Drugs"

The stuff we do to try to have a life
  • Crushed
    Cecil J wrote:

You said you were giving a lecture about mass disasters. Is it on man made or natural?

There is very little difference between most relevant natural and man made disasters
    Flooding a city as a natural event but a man made disaster
    Hurricanes are natural events but man made disasters 
    Lightning strikes are natural events but the failure to prepare is a man made disaster 
    For the most part in man made systems there are no "accidents"

Accidents and natural disaster are terms used to deflect blame from those responsible for taking precautions  

For example in August and September 2021long after vaccines became available
    Florida had over 18000 Covid deaths while 
    New York had 1700  with a slightly smaller population 
    The disease may be natural but the disaster was human.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Wow Crushed, 5 years. I remember when your wife was still home. You were one of the first posters I followed along with through this disaster. Back then I was looking ahead to what to expect. Now my DH has been in a facility for almost 6 months. 

5 years. Such a long, long time. 

I hope that turkey turns out delicious. But with your cooking skills, I'm sure it will! 

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Crushed, the New Yorker published a poem early in August (August 15 or earlier) that contained anagrams of the author's name on each line.  Since you're interested in such, you might want to check it out.  I lost my copy or I'd share it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more