Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

off topic: Late summer

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,725
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

One of the many beautiful things my partner has done on the farm is to replant 57 acres of native grasses.  This was a very interesting project, involved working with Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency for free seed, seed drill, and access to very, very expensive selective herbicide to get rid the fescue and broadleaf weeds.  Then controlled burns every two or three years--quite the project, all the local firefighters know us and we pay them to come help.

It's beautiful this time of year, so I just thought I would share some photos.  

Comments

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Thank you for sharing!  It looks like a beautiful part of the country you live in.  I particularly like the photo with the barn in it.  I grew up in a rural part of Michigan and have always loved seeing barns.  Where I am in Florida, you don't see them much.
  • M1
    This is my favorite (my desktop photo actually), but I had a hard time getting it to compress.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    WOW, That is quite a project. Beautiful!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    What an undertaking! But the results are fabulous.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    What an amazing project! Thank you for doing it, and for the beautiful pics.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

What beautiful land!

When I was in South Africa, I saw many patches of burned land along the highways.  These were not farms, just bare land along the highways.  We were told that this is from controlled burns.  I had never heard of such before.  Apparently it has a purpose.  Maybe they planned to plant some sort of grass or ground cover later.

Iris

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Wow! Quite the undertaking. It really is quite beautiful.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Great share....more about this please including, maybe,  the story about buying that much land.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    What a great project!  Thank you for sharing.
  • Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Magnificent!
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Beautiful and I am sure there is a story there...to share with us!!

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Awesome M1  have the quail come back because of this? I am just the other side of Nashville. My neighbor "the doc" has 100 plus acres and plants sunflowers. That really brings in the gold finch. He also does shataki mushrooms.  I went the other way my farm, it was all fescue and I have let most of it grow up in trees. Ash, oak, hickory and walnut. I was thinking of thinning out some mature trees which was recommended, it would have brought 10k my part but I decided I'll let someone else do that. I like the trees. Poplars grow really well on our farm. Right down the middle of the farm  I am thinning out everything but the willow oak, trees they grow so big and quick I keep it mowed on both sides. I don't now if I will ever get that project done. Someday someone will appreciate that. Right now the bigger ones are 40 plus but some big ones get to 100 plus. I started this when I bought the farm 29 years ago.  I enjoy the view going down my drive.
  • Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

It’s beautiful.  I know it was a lot of work to get it that way.

Thank you for giving us a glimpse.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

M1,

What a lovely special place, loving the open space along with the amazing star above the barn door. A slice of heaven.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Those pictures make me want to walk into them and not come back.  Thank you.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Absolutely beautiful! I too love the barn. Always have been fascinated with barns. Reminds me of being a young girl playing with my brother in my grandpa’s barn in Tennessee! Thank you so very much for sharing! You and your wife had great insights to accomplish such a wonderful project.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Beautiful
  • M1

Oh I could tell stories til the cows come home--jfkoc, she bought the property in 1998, planning to retire to it, which she did in 2007.  There was nothing on it then but the old tobacco barn (that's the one in the picture) and a small dilapidated cabin.  First thing she did was renovate the cabin, adding a new bedroom, bath, laundry room, porch, storage room, and tool shed.  Then built a two-acre lake, then planted the native grasses over about three years, fenced everything, then built a screen house on the lake, built the "new" farmhouse and barn in 2007, into which she moved in 2008.  For nine years we'd come out and spend weekends in the cabin as the other things got done, and I'd take a week's vacation every September for "farm week"--first year I took down two miles of barbed wire fence and looked like a pincushion.  Last thing we added was a chicken house and run in about 2012--wired and plumbed it ourselves, which I think about every time I flip on the light switch.  Witched the water line, too--which made a believer out of me, I'd seen it done but never believed it until we did it.

And yes TBE, the point of planting the grasses was to get the quail back--which we have to some extent, though not as much as we'd hoped.  Quail need cover that grows in clumps, which these grasses do, and the pastureland/fescue that's so common now has just about done them in.  But in addition to quail, we have deer, turkeys of course, bobcats, bald eagles, armadillos (which i could do without--invasive species!!), ducks, chickens, and all manner of migrating waterfowl.  Haven't yet seen bear or mountain lions, but they're in the county and there are some remote back areas where I wouldn't be surprised to find them.  We've also replanted a lot of trees, including elms and chestnuts, with the help of a nearby research station.

So a lot of work in the nearly 25 years she's owned it.  I will hate to sell it, but will have to at some point.  It deserves someone who will take as much care of it as she did/we did.  I do claim my sweat equity, but all the concepts and vision were hers.  I can truly say that being with her has been the adventure of a lifetime.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    M1 thank you for sharing the photos of your tall grasses.  They are beautiful.  A state park near me has done a lot of prairie restoration work, resulting in acres of walkable meadow with a wide variety of flowers and tall grasses.  My favorite of the grasses is “Turkey Foot”, so called because the seed fronds look like the three toes of a you-know-what.  Not sure if that is its real name, or just a local name hereabouts.
  • M1
    Yes Kibbee, turkey foot is big bluestem-theres some in the pictures if you know it. What we have is a mixture of big and little bluestem, Indian grass (my personal favorite with the big yellow heads), and switchgrass. We haven't been able to stage a burn since 2019, but the farm manager i recently found is going to plan one for next spring. Otherwise the weeds and blackberries will take back over.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

The property and grasses are just beautiful. That must have taken an immense amount of work.

We moved onto our property in 98, too. DH had Pheasants Forever come out and plant about 5 acres of habitat (we have 10 acres). We maintained it for several years, but it's a lot of HARD work. There are still some of the grasses mixed in with the weeds, and lots of black eyed susans still come up. Otherwise it's just overgrown now, except for the paths and areas I mow. DH let it go the last 10 years - dementia took its toll there too. I've been trying to reclaim some of the property from invasive weeds and white mulberry trees. It may be beyond my help.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you! It's beautiful.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Wow M1!!  Thanks for explaining the incredible vision behind the property.  I wish I were there to walk around on it.  It's just wonderful!
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    M1 your dw has great vision, so much of what we do will be someone else's one day. Sounds like she got to enjoy it as well. Are you getting chestnuts yet. My neighbor the doc had planted some chestnuts, not sure of the variety, but he is starting to get some. He also took advantage of the forestry free tree program and has created his own paradise. Lots and lots of work goes unto these lifetime projects. He Also has a 2 acre pond fully stocked. I have pictures some where of my dw standing where the deep end of his pond long before it was filled.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello M; what beauty; the rainbow photo made me yearn to be able to be there and walk down the road with the soft beauty all around, under the blue sky above.  It really is an amazing property; beloved and well cared for.

Your partner has been an amazing person throughout her life, what unique and wonderful  creations came to be through her mind, her spirit, her own hands, and at her direction.  I love the photo of her framing the house - and darned good strong framing too.  She certainly knew her business!  Such a gift and a life well lived.  That property will go on and on giving its peace and beauty to those who are fortunate enough and blessed to be there.

If you ever get the chance, I would love to see a photo of that two acre lake - must be lovely and peaceful.  Each season of the year must also bring its own beauty and change the picture of what one sees across those acres.   You could make a calendar or write a book with photos.  I would love to hear more of the stories - truly.

You two have been quite a pair and like hand in a glove, you have both been well suited sharing and building and caring together.   You now continue on caring in a bit of a different way; you too are a champion in your own right.  Our M1 is also amazing!

Thank you so much for sharing; it is a treat.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney