Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Young@heart posted this

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

(young@heart, you would have received replies if you would have started a new topic instead of posting this on an existing thread, that might be nearing it's end.)

I'd like to hear from some of you about experiences caring for someone diagnosed with D, ALZ in their 80's. Does the alz progress slowly?, more quickly? If it is secondary to other chronic illnesses, do the illnesses result in death before the alz progresses to end stage? Is there anyway to predict the trajectory when there is so much going on? Can the patient live another 5 years?

I hope this doesn't sound morbid..but not having any idea of the journey makes it even more frightening.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My wife was diagnosed with probable vascular dementia in June 2018 at age 78. But I think it likely was alz. She passed in June of this year (2022) from a GI bleed. I had been hoping for a fatal heart attack or fatal stroke. The GI bleed was totally unexpected. Although I would give anything to have her back, I'm glad she did not have to experience death from dementia.

Nobody can tell you how much time they have left. Some people progress more rapidly than others, but for the most part it is slow progression. Yes, the patient can easily live another five years. I think most are hoping for a quick end like I did. 

I thought this thread was important to you, so I started the new thread. You will get more replies.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I don’t think the dementia moves any quicker for someone diagnosed in their 80s.  I think people in their 80s just have a higher chance of dying from something else before the dementia   takes them, due to the fact that 80 some year olds often have health issues that can be fatal. 

Yes they can often live longer than five years. My mom had some memory issues  about 4/5 years ago, but wasn’t diagnosed right away. she is 84 and has been formally diagnosed with mild cognitive decline for about 2.5 years now. Although I think she has mild dementia.  She’s not progressing into the next stage so far.  She’s fairly physically healthy other than back issues and using a walker.  Her mom lived until 97.  I hope she  doesn’t. 

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    My husband was unofficially diagnosed (no testing) with mixed dementia of AZ and VaD (vascular dementia) in 2019. He's 90 and there's confusion over a few of his symptoms being dementia related, age related, or stroke related (15 years ago). The source doesn't really matter because they're all debilitating. It's been a gradual progression with some rapid declines. He gradually became urinary incontinent. He has numerous delusions treated with Seroquel and also sertraline for the anxiety. Most distressing now is leg weakness. His legs cannot support his weight for more than a few minutes and then he sinks to the ground. He's using a walker but by the time he gets to where he wants to go he's almost on the ground. He has choking/strangling episodes starting with his stroke and now at every meal. It doesn't matter the consistency of what he's eating. He's had several swallow tests with no help. Other than these physical problems, he's doing well for his age. Cognition is gradually declining to about 30% of the day where it's good. The rest ranges from short-term memory problems to delusions and sundowning.  He's easy to care for, especially after I changed my mindset to look for the blessings among all the many problems and tragedies of this horrible disease. Good luck, young@heart, in your new way of life - you can do it, especially with the help of all the wonderful people on this site. Read all the posts you can so you can prepare for what's ahead.
  • Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Young@heart,

Thanks ED for reposting this, it was kind of you. My dw is 85 and I am 80 and about 5 years ago she was diagnosed with MCI, The official diagnosis never got more precise but I believe that it is alzheimers. She appears to have most of  the behaviors and characteristics. They come and go. She has anosognosia or the belief that there is nothing wrong with her. She is physically healthy. I wrote five years ago that her changes were so subtle that I could not clearly identify them and the same is true with any progression. I feel that the disease is progressing ever so slightly. The main themes are suspicion, and cognitive decline. It may well be that I am too close to see the changes and that is possible. Suspicion involves keeping an eye on me and she demands that I give her my full attention and remain in the living room and not doing anything that doesn't include her as a participant or an observer. Physically , we are both healthy and I may pass before she does although age favors me. I try to focus on a day at a time and keeping her and myself calm. 

Dave

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    I'm fairly new to this group, but here's what I see in regard to the numerous posts I've read.  It seems that while there are some common aspects to ALZ there are a lot of differences too.  This is just my opinion, but I think that every care giver's experience is a little bit unique.  It may be because as human beings we are all unique.  I don't think any of us can predict what's going to happen with our LOs.  All we can do is take it one day at a time.  I agree that it does make the journey somewhat frightening.  But you have a whole group of people right here who can help you make the care giver journey a whole lot easier.  As problems arise, you don't have to tackle them by yourself.  Click on the green button in the upper right to start a new topic and type your concerns. You'll get lots of advice from everyone here.  There are so many wonderful people in this forum and they are all more than willing to help.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

My DH is in his 80s, got the Alzheimer’s Dx several years ago, and surely had it a few years years before the big crisis that led to the Dx. I’m sure he had significant  dementia for 10 years at least; his former employees noticed earlier. 

He is very “healthy” physically, and mobile otherwise. His cognitive abilities, however,  have declined steadily; he can do almost nothing without being led through it, does not recognize family or his town, no concept of time, and cannot have a conversation nor read. Too many such things to list. He CAN toilet correctly!! (surprising to many medical people) and eat food that’s given to him. He can also walk to the bathroom and around the house.  

I have no idea what will cause his death. Because of our big age difference, I always knew (lord knows enough people told me) the odds were he’d pass first. But this “death” of person-hood that lasts years, this mind gone but body here….this wasn’t something anybody ever thought about.

My mother lived 11-12 years with dementia that kind of stalled for years in late mid-stage. People said good that she lived to be over 100. I would differ. She didn’t know who, what, when or where. Incontinent, bedridden. No comprehension. Her mind was long gone. She’d always said she did not want to live like that, but her body didn’t get the message. Living long doesn’t always mean living well.

• Young@heart
    Young@heart Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary First Comment
    On the days I can maintain my resolve and "change my mindset", I too, find dh's care much easier, and I believe we have many blessings as well. Then there are those days where I am a weak 'weeny' and  allow the disease to more or less kick my b***!
  • Young@heart
    Young@heart Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you for your kindness. I was told about this site by a fellow caregiver when I attended my first alz support group meeting. Thank you...to all of you...for being here to help hold me up.
  • mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

As a person whose spouse is approaching age 84 (birthday this month) I will tell you that my spouse has a lot of other health issues and I sometimes wonder at how well he is doing physically.  He's had cancer three times, had a triple bypass in 2018, and has fairly severe asthma as well. He even had covid a couple of months ago.

He was diagnosed with MCI at the end of 2020.  We are in the process of undergoing testing to see if he has progressed, but I think so.  It is very slow.  All of this makes it hard to prepare for the future.

I have been a constant advocate for his physical health, often getting him to go to the doctor when he didn't really want to bother.  In fact, I wonder if I "saved" him from succumbing to some illnesses by getting him early treatment, only to have this happen.  It's something I can't think about for too long.  Is it possible to love someone too well?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more